Kona Kilauea 1997 - now living in Germany

Re:

Some yellow Lizard Skins grips would look nice and match the decals (I had that in orange on my Manomano) :D

And besides - pictures! :cool:

Re: Kona Kilauea 1997 - experiment time

No progress - just no time in the diary...until this weekend. I have a day blocked out for cleaning and building. However, that may have to take a back seat since another faithful 97 Cinder Cone frame broke this morning (usual spot, rear drive side drop-out. I've worked out they have a 2 year commuter life-span with me). Got a 96 Kula coming in :)

Re: Kona Kilauea 1997 - progress (P:cool:

Easter weekend and at long last some time to dedicate to the Kilauea. The more time I spend with her, the more I pick up variances and not just with the Explosif. Overall the tubing is definitely that little bit slimmer than the standard double chromoly . Good to know really considering this was considerably more expensive back in the day! The most interesting bits are the stays. Super slim on top, but with a really notable bulge on the bottom.The paint is really understated but proper cool: with a black base coat, the blue is ever so slightly metallic so it twinkles and has a slight dual fade to it.

I can't wait to ride her and see how she feels.

Building her up was relatively painless until I made the rookie mistake of fitting a bottom pull front mech. It's top innit. Luckily there's a replacement coming my way. The most sad news was shortly after taking the final set of pic's, I noticed the rear rim was totally fucked. There are cracks all over the rim where the rear wheel has been over-tightened. Again, I got lucky (or smart!) and had a set of Mavic 221's to put on instead (not shown); they had come up for sale recently and I got them as a token spare pair just in case. These were originally on the 97 Kilauea anyway so it's all good.

All that's left to do is to cable up the new front mech, add the bottle cage bolts, add the SPD's and tweak the set up for a shakedown ride. I know the tyres will split opinion. In terms of performance I think they are great - they have been faultless on the Manomano - but I suspect I'll end up getting a pair of Smoke/Dart reissues later on.

Please excuse the 60's Ikea kitchen. A new one is on hold until I stop buying bikes :mrgreen: ;)

l5rst9.jpg

SPA10F.jpg

WcXoKV.jpg

a7WXXw.jpg

PngfpT.jpg

096MgV.jpg

YZkzor.jpg

Re: Kona Kilauea 1997 - progress (P:cool:

Looks nice that,nice to see it on wheels..Nice build area also.
I'm stuck in the garage building mine..

I have never owned a Kona with the jungle graphics,i do like it..

Re:

No I didn't. The match wouldn't have been close enough. I could get away with it on the Kapu because it's a primary, non metallic colour. But not here. For me it would look naff.

So instead it'll be covered with a decent protector (still on the lookout for one).

Re:

Al, Always a top build from you. Had it out yet? Panaracers are my go to tire for most riding. Looking forward to the ride description.

Re:

Thank you :)

So, we're pretty much there. Pedals and some crimps on the gear cables and we're sorted. She's the lightest MTB in the stable by some distance.

72rYLP.jpg

The next challenge is finding time to ride her before June, the weekends are chockablock at the moment. Proper pictures should be done next month :cool:

Back