Kona Kilauea 1997 - now living in Germany

Re:

Well handily the planets aligned and I got a decent shakedown ride in yesterday afternoon in the sunshine. I also combined it with exploring the area east of home (moved last year) and whilst it's not hilly there's potential and certainly room for more exploration.

Onto the experiment. How does this handle compared with the Explosif. Well, further tests are needed for sure but initial results indicate this is more forgiving. Obviously the Explosif with the RC36's means I can be a bit more brutal on the downhill stuff, overall the Kilauea appears to be a more comfortable ride. Perhaps it's the larger, bulging stays. I'm not an expert so just speculating. As predicted it's a rabbit on inclines - completely ridiculous. It make climbing seem easy :)

If next weekend remains as is and fairly dry then I'll try another experiment, on some more gnarly stuff.

k60WTQ.jpg

mDW39t.jpg

Re: Kona Kilauea 1997 - 1st ride (P9)

That looks lovely mate,love the colour..
My kilauea also like hills..Have been thinking of fitting front shocks,but worried it might ruin it..

Most definitly one of the best looking bikes on forum...

Dare":2chfgttn said:
Most definitly one of the best looking bikes on forum...

Why thank you :)

BikerB":2chfgttn said:
That looks lovely mate,love the colour..
My kilauea also like hills..Have been thinking of fitting front shocks,but worried it might ruin it..

Cheers! I don't think it would, it would just change it (obvious statement is obvious) to a more comfortable version of the Explosif. Maybe comfortable is the wrong word, more safe, more planted. I love the sketchy feel of the Explosif. It really keeps you on your toes and concentration levels have to be high - so it feels more rewarding. This is still ace though.

It just depends on what you feel at the time so I'm grateful I can choose now.

And she is doing fine :D

Attachments

• Kilauea 1997 (2).JPG
    Kilauea 1997 (2).JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 689

Lovely :) Great to see it alive and well and sporting more XTR: it suits it!

Back