Kona Hei Hei

Thanks all. The seller was very apologetic. I think she's quite unfamiliar with bicycle parts in general, any ways, so no real harm done and I'm not out any cash, just time.

Dare asked about the wheelset. They're black Chris King classic hubs laced to Mavic 517 ceramic rims with black DT spokes. Absolute perfect wheel set for this build, IMHO. Panaracer Dart/Smoke Classic tires.

I'm well above 80kg, so I'll stick with an 80mm Fox (either another F80 RLC or an F80x, maybe a Talas since they can be dialed down quite easily) or a Z2 Bam. They are out there and I have time... and other bikes to ride in the meantime.

Nice frame...I tried hard to get that singlespeed version that was on Ebay.

Regarding fork...I'm building a 96 Stumpjumper at the moment but wanted modernish suspension up front. I have a 2012 Sid RLT Ti that I have reduced the travel to 80mm. No V mounts but will build with BB7 up front and V brake rear...matched to XTR M970 levers. Food for thought?

Harryburgundy":2ytnt4wr said:
Nice frame...I tried hard to get that singlespeed version that was on Ebay.

Regarding fork...I'm building a 96 Stumpjumper at the moment but wanted modernish suspension up front. I have a 2012 Sid RLT Ti that I have reduced the travel to 80mm. No V mounts but will build with BB7 up front and V brake rear...matched to XTR M970 levers. Food for thought?

The SS version was on eBay?!?!? I'm glad I didn't see it. Do you recall what it went for in the end?

Interesting suggestion re: the fork, but I think I'll need v mounts for the fork since I really want to use my CK classic/Mavic 517 front wheel on this build.

I don't recall how much it went for, it may have sold before end of auction.

Appreciate your wheelset conundrum..I have built Hope Evo 2 hubs on rim brake 819's...I am expecting to get stoned by the purists :)

Finally finished the Hei Hei. Almost embarrassed at how long this took. Huge thanks to Stu in Toronto for selling me the fork a few months back. After new seals and a thorough cleaning, it was perfect. Took it for its first shake down ride last weekend. 11 miles on some slightly technical single track. It was flawless.

Build kit as follows:

Frame: 1998 Kona Hei Hei Titanium, 18", green front/brushed ti rear (serial# KH 18047)
Fork: 1998 Marzocchi Z2 Bam, 1 1/8”, threadless, Enduro seals, black sliders
Headset: Chris King Nothreadset, 1 1/8”, black
Stem: Race Face System, 120mm, 25.4, 5d rise, 1 1/8”, black
Handlebar: Easton CT2 carbon bar, no rise, 25.4, 580mm
Grips: Oury Lock Jaws, black with silver clamps
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR ST m950
Shifters: Shimano XTR ST m950, 3x8 speed

Brakes: Shimano XTR BR m950, v-brake
Brake Pads: Avid ceramic
Brake Cables: Jagwire Teflon-coated stainless steel
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR FD m952, 31.8, TP, TS
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR RD m950, medium cage, red bullseye pulleys
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire Teflon-coated stainless steel
Cassette: SRAM PG850, 11-30t, 8 speed
Chain: Shimano HG-91, 8 speed
Cranks: Race Face Turbine LPs, square taper, 175mm, 94/58 BCD, white
Crank Bolts: Speed Metal self-extracting ti crank bolts – red
Chainrings: Race Face, 44, 34, 20t, 8 speed
Chainring Bolts: Black anodized
Bottom Bracket: Race Face Taperlock, 110mm, steel axle
Pedals: Shimano m747s

Hub Skewers: Salsa Flip-Offs, red anodized
Rims: Mavic 517s, SUP ceramic, 32h
Hubs: Chris King Classic, black, 32h
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tires: Panaracer Dart/Smoke Classic, 2.1” front and rear

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Ti, white, 2001
Seatpost: Race Face XY, 27.0x350mm
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Lip-Lock, black, 32.0

Attachments

• IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 546
Re:

I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it again - bloody lovely :cool:

Too true Frank. But on my PC it'll only allow a 'medium' sized pic. If I go with the large option, there are too many pixels. Maybe I can figure something out on my mac?

Latest posts

Back