Kona Hahanna 1993 - Build for my Son

When I was your sons age even our car didn't have suspension as good as that bike. As for my bike.... :roll:

I'll stop there before I start sounding like someone from "The Four Yorkshiremen" sketch. A hole? We used to dream of living in a hole!

I Know what you mean there, my first MTB was bought by saving my wages from paper round and weekend job for 6 months then I could only afford a Raleigh Maverick GT, things like 21 speed, indexed gears, QR wheels, Ti railled seat and suspension were pipe dreams.
However I have put this together on a lower budget than my Maverick cost as I had a couple of lucky scores on the original purchase (Crossrides and Maguras) which paid for the frame, forks and wheels.

Carl.

It's great and I'm very pleased for your boy - I intend to do the same for my daughter, in fact I'm going to start telling my wife that stuff I buy on eBay is for our daughter :twisted: . She's only 16 months old and prefers building bricks to titanium but you have to plan ahead... After all, my wife started buying baby clothes the day after she found out she was pregnant...!

In years to come there will be a thread for second-generation Retrobikers. Your boy will be on there!

Here it is finished with the rear wheel now correctly dished and the Decals (from gil_m) applied last night. Only had my phone cam with me but will get some decent shot on Xmas day. This I would say has set me back less than £150 (not by much) due to a bit of wheeling and dealing and will hopefully serve him well for a few years now.

IMG_20111202_212813.jpg

IMG_20111202_212759.jpg

Carl.

This I would say has set me back less than £150

Awesome job on a budget, I reckon the only thing I would consider as an alternative to that may be an Islabike.

Lucky boy, mine is only 5, but i've been thinking of what he is going to be riding when he is a bit older too.

Cheers...Nick

Really nice looking bike with good components, and for less than £150 too. :cool:
So many people walk into Halfrauds put down their £150 and walk out with their brand spanking new POS BOS. :roll:

Thanks to RetroBike and his RetroDad your son won't be doing that. :D
I can still see my 10y.o. daughter's face when she first pedalled her 14" GT Tempest bought from RetroBike and rebuilt with STX-RC bits and Rockshox suspension forks, all sourced from RetroBike.
The look on his face will be your present on Christmas Day.

Re:

I've got a 18" Hahanna that Im wanting to build up and really want to get a cable stop put on, dont want to use a dog collar if i can, some more detail on how you got your cable stop done would be much appreciated :) I.e did you cut it of another junk frame and get someone to wield it on?

Back