Kona Fire Mountain repaint

moonlite

Kona Fan
Greetings Konarati! I'm talking to a local seller about getting my mitts on this bike -- it's a 20" and still has its P2, but I can't quite work out the colour from the supplied pics. The '95 is supposed to be 'Forest Green Metallic' but this one looks more blue.

The seat isn't original, but again, not too clear about the components. Any expert opinions most welcome.

400591238_3605980482980203_3305879301148536807_n.jpeg 399650689_3605980479646870_330697314049455633_n.jpeg

Last edited:
Dropouts are pre 94 and P2's non suspension corrected.
Only these serial number will tell it's story... probably 93

Is the stem a 1 inch instead of 1"1/8th i've got a 93 Firemountain and that's a 1 inch stem and the 94 Firemountain i've got takes a 1"1/8th stem.
Also the drop outs on the forks look the same as the 93 ones.

Is it repainted? The silver p2 and stem with the hanger looks like 1993.
That's a good point. It could well be, although I would be a little surprised if that's the case -- I'm not sure there's the enthusiasm or resources to do that here in Aus. Perhaps I'll find out more when it arrives -- some details of the spec should help.

I did wonder if it could be one of those regional variations the Pipmeister did such a great job of documenting. For all I know, it could have come to Aus from Europe or elsewhere.

Is the stem a 1 inch instead of 1"1/8th i've got a 93 Firemountain and that's a 1 inch stem and the 94 Firemountain i've got takes a 1"1/8th stem.
Also the drop outs on the forks look the same as the 93 ones.
I'll check that out when it arrives. I'd love to know its story -- if it's a '93 then someone has either done a repaint or it's a non-standard colour from an unfamiliar country. Seems the repaint is the more likely answer.

OK -- this thing arrived today and it was immediately obvious that it's a respray: the frame colour is a kind of metalflake charcoal grey -- a bit like the '99 Explosif -- and is in way too good nick to be more than a quarter century old. And the decals are vinyl, quite thick and applied to the surface rather than under clearcoat.

The P2s and stem have also been resprayed and re-stickered in the same way. Whoever did it make a bit of an effort to get decals although they followed their own colour scheme.

I'm pretty sure it's a Kona, at least -- but thanks to the refinish, don't know if it's a Fire Mountain and don't know what year. The serial number is a bit faint but I'll post it up shortly.

IMG_1336.jpg IMG_1352.jpg

Some other first impressions:

- Wheels: solid axles, bolted on. Araya RM-17 rims; front hub is labelled HB-RM50 which I think is Exage; rear hub unlabelled. Tyres are Specialized Crossroads 1.95 which I'll be replacing. In fact, in time the wheels will go as I'd much prefer QR hubs.

- Headset: I'm not sure that this is original (when did they start using Impact headsets?) and the lock nut is damaged, so will need replacing. I'd be tempted to bang on a more modern headset but want to keep the threaded forks so will find something appropriate.

- Seatclamp and dog collar: both are Kona items but the seatclamp seems to have been refinished and is a size too large, I think. The ends nearly meet when it's tightened.

- Gruppo is 3x7 with an Exage derailleur; crankset is stamped FCM320 and has replaced rings.

- Deore thumbies for shifting; not sure what the brake levers are but the cantis are Exage. Bit of rust and repainting on the levers so these will eventually be replaced.

- Bars are 535mm flatties, gloss black with an 'A' logo; I will replace these with a Kona-branded pair I have.

- Saddle is quite a decent Selle Italia; seatpost is unbranded 26.8mm.
IMG_1355.jpg IMG_1332.jpg
IMG_1334.jpg IMG_1342.jpg IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Back