Kona Explosif 2008 build / fork conundrum (and hello)

whathegram

Dirt Disciple
Hello! My first post here. I'm going mad with this build and I think I need to consult the gurus of the internet.

I bought a 2008 19" explosif frame thinking that I would finally be able to get a better fit than the 2004 18" I currently have. As much as I love the bike it's just too small and bothers my shoulders/neck (I'm 6'1). So all was going well until I discovered the steerer on the Project 2 fork I have is now too short for the larger frame.

Scouring ebay and classifieds hasn't turned up much with v-brake mounts. I missed out on a salsa cromoto which should have fit the bill. I was then about to go for an exotic carbon fork ( https://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&c=43&p=199 ) before they all went out of stock in the 425mm length.

Kona tells me to stick with the original 80mm suspension geometry, it's around a 410mm fork on it now, which really seems to cut my options.

Now do I keep refreshing ebay/classifieds looking for a classic steel fork with a long enough steerer? Is anyone selling one here or looking for a swap?

Go with the longer 445mm carbon exotic fork? How much will it really change the handling? The larger frame will feel different I guess also. My neck might also be happier with the higher front end.

Go disc only (needs a new front wheel). I like the simple feel/look of the v's. This is my 'clunker' bike afterall.

I'll continue to think...

Thanks for reading
Dave

Hi welcome to the forum

did it really come with from a 80mm fork stock I though most xc bikes were 100mm upwards these days.

I have some kinesis maxlight with a 230mm steerer I think and 400mm long if that's any good

Re:

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't seen those chromo ones before on amazon, they might be a little long again. Are the kinesis a v-brake version?

Yeah I'm surprised for a hardtail from 2008, I know it's a 'classic' frame geometry but it's on the cusp of more modern stuff. Kona suggested to stick with an travel 80mm sus fork, or 408mm rigid. I could probably get away with a bit more.

Re:

I've got a lovely set of nuke proof carbon forks. V brake (or disc) and I think 425mm a2c. Massive steerer too. Similar in look to exotic/pace. Was saving them for a project but found some rc31 ti to use instead.

Re:

Paul - Good to hear it works on the Lava dome. How were the Kinesis? Are the aluminium?

Hi ishaw! I've heard the nukeproof might even be the same fork under the stickers as the exotic. If they're definitely the 425mm and you're not saving them I'd be interested!

cheers
Dave

Good, nice and light nice feel. I just decided wanted something a bit longer and project 2 like. yes theyre alumumium

Latest posts

Back