Kona expert advice needed, lucked into something special...

al-onestare":278qhgnc said:
Well, the thing that makes it's special is the thing you're thinking of removing so...you can do the logic!

From a practical perspective, do get in touch with Kona. They are super-helpful and friendly if you are and whilst they may not have all the answers, they'll certainly show it some love.

This was such a fluid time - as mentioned - and particularly at this point where Kona were getting some traction, partnering (to a degree) with Brodie, it was only natural that there would be a lot of cross-over in everything; design, look, feel. When I look at that signature, the first thing I thought of was Toxic Harold. It looks very, very similar in style and position.

There could be any number of reasons for the look: special employer or affiliate. It might have been a warranty replacement given some extra treatment as a thank you. It might have been a warehouse find a few years later - and therefore quite "old" so tarted up. Most likely I think is that it was special promotional bike, used at trade-fairs or stands, to promote Kona or Brodie or the paint artists...or all three.

Anyway, it's great to see these super-rare, unusual bikes still coming through after so many years. You think you've seen it all, so it's a great reminder that we haven't!

Don't worry, after staring at the pictures a lot I've grown to appreciate the paint, I will remove the rust gently and attempt to touch up the rest convincingly. Might still do new decals though. I do feel lucky to have stumbled across such an uncommon Kona, and I will continue to try and find out as much as I can about its history.

FluffyChicken":278qhgnc said:
If you're a Facebook users, it may be worth sticking a post up in the Vintage Canadian Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/729035677134152/
Nice little group and most are on here as well.

You know what's funny, I hadn't heard of the group, but that's where I bought the frameset (after some images showed up in a google search)! I am a member now, but I would guess no one on there has any more information as it was originally posted for sale in November and none of the comments shed any light.

Paul Brodie accepted my friend request this morning, so I'll send him a couple of pictures and see if he remembers the bike

Just had a little chat with Paul Brodie on Facebook, he was as I remembered, friendly and helpful. I ascertained this:

No Explosif frame was ever made in Canada during his involvement with TBG, the custom frame options mentioned in the catlog were likely minor additions to asian-made frames.

The Art Dept. was really pretty much just Art Tyler, Paul said he did "some painting, not much", Brodie bikes stopped painting Konas after the start of the lawsuit that separated the two companies.

I wonder if I can track down Art Tyler...

thought that looked familiar and thought perhaps on FB. sorry no help from me, but congrats on the pickup! ;)

RockiMtn":1bvs4j3r said:
thought that looked familiar and thought perhaps on FB. sorry no help from me, but congrats on the pickup! ;)

Thanks Frank, I'm pretty excited, not to mention feeling very lucky. Hope I can do the bike justice. Have to piece together an M730 group now, have shifters, levers, wheels and rear der. thus far.

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":3o38gbr7 said:
i have a spare m730 f.mech, 28.6mm bp which is what's needed for this frame?

Cool!, PM me what you want for it, or stuff you're looking for.

Just have to find crankset and 1 pair of cantilevers.

i might have full set of canti brakes. nicely polished too! m732? cranks i think i only have m735. maybe a set of mt60? which is for m730 or no? is that DX??? i'm not too good with anything before m735. :p

Back