Kona Cinder Cone Joe Murray 91? potential restore

Domrjudo

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have a Kona Cinder Cone, Joe Murray edition, and I am looking for ideas from those that know far more than I on retro bikes. History: in about 2000, and before I knew any better, I got a bike shop to replace the suntour bits with Shimano (low spec - didn't know any better) and cantilever brakes to V brakes also a new cartridge BB. Left in place are the impact headset and velocity stem, original forks, hubs with suntour 7 speed FW. Other than that it has been well maintained and bearing surfaces are good. Options as I see it are:

1) Original restore - bide my time for NOS parts - I have seen most on ebay come and go except a rear XC LTD derailleur - Do these ever come up?
2) Sympathetic restoration with a nod to the past - what parts do you recommend that are readily available?
3) Rebuild with modern bits (I'd keep the frame, forks and stem) and replace the headset with a Chris King Cartridge bearing.

Would be grateful for some ideas here from people that genuinely appreciate classic MTBs.

Thank you so much.

Dominic

Welcome to the forum :cool:

Im new here too and no expert but I'll offer my opinion.

Option 1: Will take time, patience and lots of £££, but ultimately be more 'collectable' and worth more should you want to sell it on later.

Option 2: Would be kinda fun to look at it like - If it was 1996 and I had owned this bike for 5 years what upgrades would I have added. XT V brakes, a USE seatpost, Awnswer Hyperlite bars for example.

Option 3: Best option if you intend to ride it regularly. Dont go adding disk brakes and a 120mm travel fork though lol! Tubeless wheels and tyres, modern drivetrain, wider bars (but not too wide!) will make it more capable, faster, and more fun to ride.

At the end of the day its your bike so do what YOU want. Never seek approval from others, do your own thing and let your own personal creativity flow :)

Going down a similar path. Enjoy the dilemma and the hunt. Agree with the tubeless option. Although I do love the idea of running old school 1.6 panaracers.

Depends on where you intend to ride it. Keep the headset if its still OK, its part of the Kona package.

It's got to be your choice, and I've done all three options at some point. On the whole, I like sympathetic restos, especially those that keep iconic parts that may have been unique to the brand. In your case, the impact headet, velocity stem etc shout 'KONA'.

I'd be tempted to stay suntour, it was pretty good stuff, and was a welcome step away from the 'Big S'.

It's all about nostalgia here, so what did you lust after back then?

Back