Kona Impact headset and 1990 Joe Murray Project Two fork

Looking great @Wilou !

I'd be tempted to shorten the P2 threaded steerer to just below your headset locking mechanism, or potentially add some spacers and a top lock nut if you'd prefer keeping the extra steerer length just to finish things off.

I personally wouldn't consider a Pepperoni fork for this build. Pepperoni's look best on fat tube Cannondales or possibly other fat tube alloy frames IMHO. That P2 looks sweet, the perfect fork for your frame I think 👍

Hello Canuckbiker,

Thank you for the suggestions. :) Perhaps I'll shorten the steerer later, I don't know yet. As the bike is very little, I prefer not to add spacers. My position would become less confortable.

I wouldn't want to install a Pepperoni on this bike, I'm not even sure that there is a 1'1/8" version of this fork. I only imagine it on a Cannondale (as I only imagine a Project Two on a Kona). I always prefer the original, for my cars, my computers and for my bikes. :) I just wanted to know if they could be compared and if a review of the two together existed. I've searched, of course, but I've found nothing for now.

You talk about a top lock nut, is there something I forgot ? I haven't seen something more on the pics of other Lava Domes.

:)

W.

Sorry, misunderstood the Pepperoni question. Great fork IMO, I had a hard time finding one for my Cannondale build myself, they do come in 1-1/8" threadless and pretty sure threaded as well along with 1-1/4" options. Mines an 1-1/8" threadless, had to used headset reducers as my frame is 1-1/4"

My second suggestion of adding spacers and a top lock nut wasn't my best recommendation were you wanting to keep the current steerer length. Your bearings are already locked by the top unit of the Impact headset, it would just add some finishing bits rather than seeing exposed threads.

If you want to keep the steerer long (higher handlebars) swapping the headset to a conventional design with threaded top bearing and lock nut complete with sufficient spacers to fill the gap would be the correct way to finish it off. I know you're fond of the Impact headset though.

Like in this photo:
99999.jpg

Preferred solution would be to cut it to the correct length for the finished headset stack height provided your handlebars could stay high enough for your riding preference.

If you do cut it be careful to cut square and measure twice, a file is usually all that's needed to smooth out the new starting threads. Could always take it somewhere to shorten if you don't feel confident.

Hi ! :)

Thank you for your answer. :) Interesting to know that the Pepperoni exists with 1'1/8" steerer and threadless. I've found nothing for now but I'd be very glad to find an old Cannondale (one of my friends is interested in the Scott, we must arrange something about that). I had a hard time to find the Kona and I think it'll be the same story for a Cannondale. I've seen some F700 and like everyone here, I would of course love to have one ! :D But the prices are very high and I would even prefer an M or an SM. I stumbled on an SM 500 at a good price, it seemed all original but I wasn't sure of the year and if I was to buy this bike specifically, I'd choose the '84 model because of the 24" wheel (or the '86 SM 700, which has the same diameter). And the seller wasn't able to say me precisely what year his bike was (and when I contacted him, he said the bike was on the site for long but also that another person contacted him the day before me).

I saw another one, an SM 700, restomodded and chromed, a pure beauty, but the price was really too high (for me that is, like 700 €, a lot for a nearly 35 year-old bike). So, I'll wait (I have the patience of the alligator waiting for its next meal under the muddy water :D). I also keep an eye on models like the M200se or the M300 but damn ! They're nowhere to be found ! :'(

And I also keep an eye on some Sunn, because cock-a-doodle-doo ! They're french like me and it's a firm that's not far from where I live. And because, of course, they're very nice bikes. (I have a pic of one I found recently, I'll contact the seller as soon as I've sold the Scott). See below.

As you see, head full of projects. And I'm not even only into bikes. I'm also into computers (a big collection of laptops, nearly 50, and I still need to add several models to it). Takes time to maintain all these babies ! :D And I'm also a pianist and I have to play a lot. Wish the days were longer (If Elon Musk wants someone to go on Mars, I'm his man, the days are twice longer than ours out there ! :D).

Kind regards ! ;)

W.

Attachments

• a782a64e40cc022d39df60e874734d4dc589026e.jpg
    a782a64e40cc022d39df60e874734d4dc589026e.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 18
Wilou
Your Kona looks like it’s moving 30mph…..standing still !!!

Beautiful.
Love the directional front tire as well
I agree with Canuck…..about the spacer
Will look clean, without any major modifications
Cut/re-threading S tube can be done thou.
I’m guessing the spacer will be more cost effective
Cheers

Back