Kona 95 kilauea

Konajona

Dirt Disciple
Now hi there retro experts. ...I'm new to this so bare with. I've got a kilauea 95 as u probably guessed from the title. I've kinda kept it period correct but not original spec. I know I'm guilty of doing things to this classic that's definitely frowned upon. But please I'd like some honest opinions?
As you can see from the photo it's far from stock. It's been resprayed silver with custom decals from Gil. It's running 8 speed but with middleburn 1x chainset. And I've also put on some suspension corrected p2s on.
It rides really nicely and I love it. So that's the main thing...right? Let me know your thoughts. Was considering taking it back to original white and less vibrant silver decals....but it ain't gonna be standard spec ever so what you recon ?

Attachments

• 20210107_225317.png
    20210107_225317.png
    779.3 KB · Views: 262
I'd call this a largely sympathetic restoration. The Middleburn touch lifts it, and are those Curve canti brakes? It's a bit all over the place chronologically, but it's nearly all tastefully done and the colour's not a huge step from the original white.

Personally I would give it an even higher score if you put the period-correct threaded fork and Velocity stem matching pair back on, but perhaps you're motivated by the more comfortable riding position that the longer fork gives you?

adroitstif":l2kgb4b3 said:
I'd call this a largely sympathetic restoration. The Middleburn touch lifts it, and are those Curve canti brakes? It's a bit all over the place chronologically, but it's nearly all tastefully done and the colour's not a huge step from the original white.

Personally I would give it an even higher score if you put the period-correct threaded fork and Velocity stem matching pair back on, but perhaps you're motivated by the more comfortable riding position that the longer fork gives you?

Agree, swap to a slimmer longer black stem, and I don't think anyone could argue with it looks wise... but tbh, just ride it and enjoy as is. Bet it's a beaut to ride!

Yes it's a great ride, really comfortable and zippy. As you said adroitstif I have gone with the threadless p2s and short stem for comfort. The heightened head stack is alot easier on my 46 year old back.
Yes they are curve cantis also. Set up well they work great! Also agree with 1bhp a black stem would look better, might get a rattle can out in satin black to match forks.
Thanks guys for your valid input.

Latest posts

Back