Klein Attitude v 04 fork help

Lukeyp

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys just picked up the frame mentioned above, looking out bikepedia http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... ugNxnk4m8o all the attitude models from this year came with a an 80mm fork. Of course thinking it was designed around an 80mm fork I've been looking (really want an f80!) but they're not as easy to find as an 100mm. I know 100mm can be adjusted but would rather have the f80 as I've heard adjusting travel my reduce plushness etc (please correct if I'm wrong!) But looking in bikepedia more, the 2006 attitude http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... ugN-3k4m8o comes with 100mm forks. Looking at the frames they look the same, are they? In other words what will it be like running 100mm forks on my 2004 attitude? Sorry for the story!

Those frames look the same to me, just at different angles due to the longer fork.
Keep in mind that once you sit on the bike, the greater sag of the 100mm fork will make the actual difference a lot smaller.

Personally, I'd put a first-generation Reba (the later ones only have disk tabs) on there and set it at 80mm (or have it done, depending on your wrenching skills). Even at 80mm they're pretty plush.

Looking at the two Bikepedia pictures, I would guess that most likely they didn't change the frame geometry between 2004 and 2006. I say this because the 2006 has a riser bar and perhaps a shorter stem too - but certainly the grips are closer to the plane of the steerer than in the 2004 photo. That would be enough to counterbalance the effect of the 20mm longer fork, so I don't see why they would have changed the frame angles as well.

So a 100mm fork ought to work for you, but I think you need to take into account the bar/stem combination that you intend to use, as well as the fork travel/head angle.

I don't think there's all that much difference in plushness between a Fox F100 and F80. The only thing is you might be operating with 20% less sag with a F80, so you would have a slightly higher air pressure to achieve that. That would make it slightly less plush. My fork is the other way round - it has the F80 stickers, but the previous owner had the spacer removed, so now it works just like a F100. At least at that time (c2003/4), I beleieve the only difference between the internals of the two models was the removable spacer.

My '05 XX came as standard with Maverick 85-125mm forks so I'm running 130mm Fox forks on it just now. Feels good but I might be dropping it down to 120mm.

Latest posts

Back