Klein Adroit refurb

Re:

Thanks for the info. 0.005" x 10 layers makes each carbon strip over 1mm thick? I'm suprised it was that much. I have found a few reference photos of stripped frames but it is hard to tell.

The carbon I am using is just standard stuff so different to the Boron Fibre that Klein originally used. I don't expect to feel any difference in ride quality. Just thought it looked right having carbon stuck on it....

I have a stripped boxed unicrown waiting to have my same carbon treatment. It will at least smooth out the crown area. I am concerned about galvanic corrosion between the carbon layer and aluminium. I have put a layer of epoxy on the aluminium first and am hoping it wont be a problem.

The plan for paint is debossed white decals and pearl / metallic black.

Re: Re:

bat40a6":1lco9l8u said:
Good call with the filler on the joints and junctions. Was that originally applied by Klein on the Adroit? Some pictures I have seen of the early Adroits do appear smoother than the average attitude.

To my knowledge/experience MC1 Adroits always had much smoother welds than Attitudes.

Re:

Fascinating journey with your frame.

Great to actually see what Jon R. and others, yourself included, are fighting with to get these frames back to pristine appearance.

Subscribing to this thread for future updates and gaining new knowledge on the way.

Keep up the good work

K.

Well I have got the carbon on to the fork! Looks a bit mottled with the filler on but getting there. A bit more work and I hope the smoothed out crown will look good once painted!

Attachments

• Klein Fork2.jpg
    Klein Fork2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 599
Re:

You guys are so demanding :) I have entered an endless cycle of sanding and priming in search of perfection. I am concentrating on getting the fork crown looking ok then will move back to looking at the frame

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3053.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 516
Re:

I always thought the boxed fork on the early Adroit did not have boron/carbon-epoxy but was identical to the Attitude fork (which was prone to crack)

Re:

The boxed crown fork is all I have. I have cracked one before so they are flawed. However I have also ridden another boxed crown fork for nearly 20 years and it has held up ok.
Interestingly there is one of the original Adroits on oldklein.com with a box crown fork and it is listed as being carbon re-enforced.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back