Klein Adroit refurb

Re:

I got some 'GT PRO' Carbon re-enforced body filler from Ebay to smooth out the carbon and fill out the bottle boss rivets. Once I get primer on the frame I may need to smooth out the filler a bit more.

Got the carbon on the top and bottom of the seatstays :) Filled dents of which there were a few!

Repairing the drilled out cable exit was not easy. I have epoxied a small aluminium plate to the inside of the hole, re-drilled then filed the epoxy. I will have to check it is strong enough. I turned a new cable stop for the brake cable entrance and pressed it in to the drilled out entry hole.

Attachments

• IMG_2992.JPG
    IMG_2992.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_2994.JPG
    IMG_2994.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_2996.JPG
    IMG_2996.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 671
Re:

The aluminium strip used to repair the brake cable exit hole was narrow enough to slide in to the drilled out hole. The strip was longer than the hole. I made a small hole in the centre of the aluminium strip and inserted a wood screw in the hole to use as a handle. Then cover the strip in epoxy, insert in hole, wait to dry then remove the temporary screw handle!

Re:

Good progress so far.

Reminds me of a normal day at the office. :LOL:

Another touch would be to use filler around all the intersections to make them as smooth as possible.

J

Re:

Good call with the filler on the joints and junctions. Was that originally applied by Klein on the Adroit? Some pictures I have seen of the early Adroits do appear smoother than the average attitude.

There are patches of pitting and corrosion around the cable exits and bottom bracket. I will try to smooth things out with a light application of filler before priming, then refine before a second priming coat.

Re: Re:

bat40a6":33ficv0w said:
Good call with the filler on the joints and junctions. Was that originally applied by Klein on the Adroit? Some pictures I have seen of the early Adroits do appear smoother than the average attitude.

There are patches of pitting and corrosion around the cable exits and bottom bracket. I will try to smooth things out with a light application of filler before priming, then refine before a second priming coat.

Yes certainly the earlier ones.

J

Re:

Interesting project this, signing up to keep an eye on it, good effort keep it up :D

Downtubes didn't have any carbon applied BTW.

Each layer of carbon was about 0.005" and there were 10 layers give or take.

Back