King Kahuna Stars ‘n’ Bars!

Re:

This won’t be a component by component picture show, but I just wanted to show the difference after using 3 grades of Scotch Brite on the rear end – Ooo-er :oops: AND a Royce Bottom Bracket - Mmm.

King%20Kahuna%20SandB_R250915_1_zpsr2ej2xjj.jpg

Rightyho, build on!

I have about 4 pairs of wheels to use, which are mainly different versions of Mavic 517 or 717 on various Hope Sliver or Black Hubs, although I may not drag them all out for this exercise.

Oh yeah Al, as you suggested an XT M739…. I do have a shiny XT Crank, but it will be the svelte M737.

I have 4 pairs of SIDs ready, so here are the first 2 pairs with all silver wheels....

The white SIDney Ltd Edition pick up on the white paint of the Stars and Bars.

KK%20SandB_SIDneyDS_zpsbotnda7n.jpg

KK%20SandB_SIDneyF_zps19dcu0er.jpg

The silver SIDs pick up on the silver tone of the titanium.

KK%20SandB_SID%20SilverDS_zpssdolaol6.jpg

KK%20SandB_SID%20SilverF_zpsdbdefmr5.jpg

Red SIDs and Black SIDs tomorrow.

Pip.

Re:

I tell you know, silver. It really compliments the rear. Proper proper proper cool! Grey or silver bars stem and seatpost could look even better. That said, it looks ace in either guise.

I'm really curious why they changed half season and not wait till the end. Perhaps it was an end of a batch. Who knows. Brilliant all the same.

The more I think about it the more I think this was a special request / very small paint run. You must be over the moon!

Re:

I got an e mail back from Kona who said it was a 97 king kahuna. They said the paint was available as a custom option to kona employees. I had it built with all xtr 950 and it looked great. Good luck with the build and enjoy the ride

Re: Re:

H1v9a8c8":umisdk8f said:
I got an e mail back from Kona who said it was a 97 king kahuna. They said the paint was available as a custom option to kona employees. I had it built with all xtr 950 and it looked great. Good luck with the build and enjoy the ride

Blimey :shock: Thank you most kindly for that interesting information – I reckon that al-onestare will be better qualified to comment further here…. I'll leave it to him for the time being.

Cheers, Pip.

Re:

Good morning – some more pics taken first thing.

The black SIDs will presumably look better with these mainly black Mavic Cross Roc wheels rather than silver wheels.

KK%20SandB_SID%20BlackDS_zpscwfoscnb.jpg

KK%20SandB_SID%20BlackF_zpsknhdi7ir.jpg

The Red SIDs are O.E. from my 2000 Explosif. I didn’t think that these would work when I just laid them in the bare frame, but I quite like this look now. They probably won’t perform as well as the SIDney Olympic Games Ltd version though – Timmy Flooks told me that the SIDney were more plush than some of the SIDs produced.

KK%20SandB_SID%20RedDS_zpspxlxskea.jpg

KK%20SandB_SID%20RedF_zps8yhdvuzj.jpg

Not sure which way to go now, but I would like to make a final decision today and crack on with the build.

Pip.

im thinking black... with the frame graphics the other colours look a tad 'over busy' IMO

Re:

I can put pictures up later of the build, but first I would like to show you this.

I was on the first rider proper and very happy with the set-up. Really quick off the mark with fast and sure climbing. A quick blip around the former Greenham Common Air Base, and I was really flying – just wonderful handling. Anyway, on my way home I had a mechanical.

I was on the twin track decent into a Chamberhouse Farm, when I thought I must have hit a stone. I heard a sort of cross between a twang and a crack, with a judder going through the frame. I immediately though that the paint job had been bashed or the tubing had been dented by a stone.

I came to a stop and noticed the front rim was over to one side on the brake blocks. Looking down I saw that 4 spokes had cracked away a section of the Hope Ti Glide Flange.

I walked it home and took the tension off the spokes. So now it’s a rebuild when I can find another matching silver hub.

Still over the moon with bike’s cracking handling though – sorry :roll:

Hopr%20Ti%20Glide%20F_zpshgivqagm.jpg

Hope%20Ti%20Glide%20F_1_zpsajxekk7k.jpg

Pip.

Re:

Damn! At least the frame wasn't the problem :)

For what it's worth the silver/grey fork wins hands down in the looks department IMO ;)

Back