Just found my first 'MTB' online!

It'd have:
(Probably) bigger than 26" wheels.
Bars at least level with the saddle, if not slightly higher. An upright position, so you can see where you're going and can unweight the front wheel easily.
All the complicated mechanical bits (brakes, gears) inside sealed units in the hubs.
Be able to carry luggage, so I could use it for touring.
Here's a picture of my Dawes Galaxy, which is great but it doesn't have enough mud clearance and it's too fragile, perhaps this gives an idea?
DSCN0242.jpg

Reading all the posts by Geoff Apps, it would be something like the bikes he designed. A lot of his ideas align with things I've been thinking over the last couple of years. I wonder what's happened to him?

They're great, but having to take the front wheel out to clear away mud starts to grate after a while, and like I say I'd prefer to have a geared hub with a brake.
My ideal bike would have lots more clearance, and mudguards that had no stays.

J i m s t e r":2vfhmox2 said:
No offense but...

Seriously, better off recycled!

Won't let me post the pic in the quote, but...

Whilst I respect the expression of individual opinion, and the graphic representation that you have chosen to illustrate the depth of your feelings, as the proud new owner of this bicycle I feel that I must take issue. ;-)

I have been searching for one of these for ages and whilst I agree it looks in a pretty sorry state, it's nothing a bit of TLC won't put right :roll: . Had one from new back in the early 80's (first 'new' bike I ever had) and there really wasn't anything around quite like it. At the time it looked quite "tough" but was proper bike-sized.

Before owning a similar bike, when I visited my cousin I rode (was forced to ride) a navy blue Raleigh Wayfarer (J i m s t e r, can I borrow that pic please?)

When this one came up on eBay I debated the whole rose tinted specs thing, but on balance I'm not disappointed. Mind you, I haven't got it yet :roll:

My own Vindec Trekker met a tragic end - I hit some very solid cast iron railings and whilst I escaped relatively unscathed, the same could not be said for the bike and the frame was bent :cry: If I recall correctly I did a lot of :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: at the time!

Anyway, I think it will make an interesting project.

:D

Back