Just found my first 'MTB' online!

go for it, I reckon with a bit of pimp that could be pretty cool :D

Already bid on it and failed against the other guy so I reckon you'll have to fight it out. I'm now just watching with interest.

Once seen a very early Puch MTB, looked like someone had described a mtb to the Puch frame builders but no one had actually seen one. Looked like a giant BMX with far too much metal reinforcing, too high gearing and caliper brakes, weighed an absolute ton !!!!!!!

Also briefly owned an early West German ATB, similar problems to the Puch with 42/52 double chainring and over a foot of B/B clearance.

Go for the Vindec, its your duty :D

It's a loop framed steel roadster, not really a mountain bike at all; mountain bike design followed a different path to this.
Still nice, although it needs a lot of work.
I'd have been tempted by it myself, definitely interesting and probably quite stately to ride along on.
And what price for your personal history?
Incidentally, I have a few parts to fit it if you do decide to buy.

chris667":1nt4ff9v said:
It's a loop framed steel roadster, not really a mountain bike at all; mountain bike design followed a different path to this.

All depends on which path you take and what you claim an MTB is. This bike took me up plenty of hills and down dales and gave me a ton of off road fun long before 'proper' US derivative MTBs were common place.

Obviously this bike has far more in common with Postman Pat than John Tomac but then the miles I put in on my Vindec off-road definately class it as an MTB in my eyes. Even if you look at the early US MTBs, they were nothing more than bastardised road cruisers. :D

Chances are I'm not going for this though, it'd be wrong just to buy it for the hell of it, I'd never use it and I'd just feel guilty that I denied it its destiny (to be ridden).
The only bikes I really lust after are those unobtainable ones from when I was a teen. To me, buying this would be like going to Butlins rather than Jamaica on holiday just because that's what I did as a kid! :LOL: (that said, doesn't stop me looking at the auction with unnerving regularity and hoping someone nice buys it!)

No offense but...

a70082a37bd13c616b8960178a219731.jpg

Seriously, better off recycled!

pete_mcc":3b00587v said:
J i m s t e r":3b00587v said:
No offense but...

a70082a37bd13c616b8960178a219731.jpg

Seriously, better off recycled!

..says the man with a Wanted ad for a set of Scott AT4s! ;)

They are for a mate. No, honest they are. He's already got the tape for them and everything.

Have you got any then?

pete_mcc":3njye64r said:
All depends on which path you take and what you claim an MTB is. This bike took me up plenty of hills and down dales and gave me a ton of off road fun long before 'proper' US derivative MTBs were common place.

Obviously this bike has far more in common with Postman Pat than John Tomac but then the miles I put in on my Vindec off-road definately class it as an MTB in my eyes. Even if you look at the early US MTBs, they were nothing more than bastardised road cruisers. :D

Chances are I'm not going for this though, it'd be wrong just to buy it for the hell of it, I'd never use it and I'd just feel guilty that I denied it its destiny (to be ridden).
The only bikes I really lust after are those unobtainable ones from when I was a teen. To me, buying this would be like going to Butlins rather than Jamaica on holiday just because that's what I did as a kid! :LOL: (that said, doesn't stop me looking at the auction with unnerving regularity and hoping someone nice buys it!)

Don't get me wrong! Just because I don't think it's a "proper" mountain bike, doesn't mean I think it's wrong.
Bikes like this were all over the country at one point, being used for offroading, before people knew what offroading was.

I think there's a lot of useful, clever features on it which conventional off road bike wisdom ignored to its detriment - I'm not really convinced by the agressive, head down position of mountain bikes for non-racers anymore, for a start.

I could see myself riding something like that, seriously. I've had enough of messing about with bikes that you need to think about. A capful of Sturmey Archer oil and the odd innertube is all you'd need to keep that going.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't like looking at what people here ride; just my take on it. I don't like going for bike rides with other people, and I'd have no chance keeping up with any of you on my ideal bike. But it's all good... :cool:

Back