Just built a 29'er. Will I ever ride on 26" wheels again?

My four most ridden bikes.
3 29ers and a fatbike.
And the only retro bike I have in a rideable state is a 650b!

Safe to say I think the skinny 26"er is dead.

Re:

Kaiser: Ahh good, I was rather hoping you'd contribute to the thread. :mrgreen:

I have a buddy who is a very good and keen rider, but not technically able and also not into bikes other than to ride them. If I asked him to list the differences between 26", 27.5" and 29" wheels, he would look at me as if I had just spoken to him in Zulu. He owns a road bike, a 26" modern hard tail and just recently bought a 27.5" full suss, as each of them does a job. I think he is pretty representative of 'normal' bike riders, i.e. those that don't spend all their non riding time tinkering with bikes, reading about bikes or on internet forums about bikes. :mrgreen:

My original point was a worry that I will not enjoy riding my carefully and expensively constructed fleet of classic British Steel retro bikes, now I have finally made the leap forward 20 years.

It would seem the answer is maybe ..or maybe not.

I'll find out in two weeks, as I'm riding one of them 40k in an off road sportive.

So the question is, if you were 'just going for a ride', what would you jump on?

Re:

I've been playing with a 140mm fs 29er for a year or so having come from the same in 26". Sold the 26" to a friend and it feels tiny now when I grab it for a go.

I'm about to sell the 29er as we need the cash atm but will replace it in the new year so I've been giving much thought to what to do next. Simple fact is that every thing people say about 29ers is pretty much true. They are very stable, very smooth and carry speed like nothing else. The downside, imo is that they're just not as much fun. Great for mile munching and all dayers but reluctant to join in if you just want to arse about.

My conclusion is that they are best for 90% of riding but I really miss the 10%. Saying that, I wouldn't go back to 26" modern so the choice will be between 650b and 29" for me. If I do go 650b for the fs I will defo be after a 29" ht to go alongside it.

Retro is a different kettle of fish all together. For me modern bikes from the last few years have relegated retro to the role of occasional use, like an old sports car that comes out on a Sunday when the weather's nice. They're still great and are far prettier but I couldn't use one for every ride when my modern bikes ride as they do.

The History Man":1nrxnb3z said:
So the question is, if you were 'just going for a ride', what would you jump on?
I can't answer that yet, as I'm still in the novelty stage of ownership. I'd be interested to know what more long term 29'er owners have to say though.

Nobody's mentioned 29+ - quite a few new tyres coming out this year and finding popularity with the fat bike crowd looking for summer trail treads. I has a custom titanium frame built last year:
http://www.spanner.org.uk/2013/12/frase ... -titanium/
- once you get it rolling, it simply rolls over anything and everything - it will even out-descend a 26" full-susser. I've enjoyed it so much I've started the design process for a custom titanium fatbike.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":16490iij said:
Retro is a different kettle of fish all together. For me modern bikes from the last few years have relegated retro to the role of occasional use, like an old sports car that comes out on a Sunday when the weather's nice. They're still great and are far prettier but I couldn't use one for every ride when my modern bikes ride as they do.

Couldn't have put it better :D

I had a 29er full sus for 2 year, then 650b full sus for a year and then went cross bike, and I liked them all. I put it down to the fact I just like to ride and it really doesn't matter what it is. I seem to be happy to adapt my riding style to the bike I'm on. My 80`s ride is still fun to ride but it does feel a bite like a stunt/BMX/cruiser.

Coleman":2rlj1nuj said:
NeilM":2rlj1nuj said:
Adrian, Fat is 'kool' but for much younger and fitter men than me.

As light as a light things that's just been on a crash diet is what I need.

Yes the weight thing is on the agenda with mine, Just about to go tubeless with carbon rims - 25lbs with the Bluto sus forks, maybe a bit less when the new swalbe tyres come out :)

Your 29er looks nice - I was really tempted by a Soulcraft one of those, still not had a go on one yet.

Does this mean I won't be giving you a friendly push up the HONC hills next year Adrian ? . . . Riding my -then - 22 year old Scott ? ;) :LOL:

Mike

Back