Just built a 29'er. Will I ever ride on 26" wheels again?

NeilM":1vkinbs3 said:
Adrian, Fat is 'kool' but for much younger and fitter men than me.

As light as a light things that's just been on a crash diet is what I need.

Yes the weight thing is on the agenda with mine, Just about to go tubeless with carbon rims - 25lbs with the Bluto sus forks, maybe a bit less when the new swalbe tyres come out :)

Your 29er looks nice - I was really tempted by a Soulcraft one of those, still not had a go on one yet.

Re:

I'm a lot quicker on my 29'er than on any of my 26" stuff.

It's quite odd - everything just feels really easy.

Re: Re:

paddy311":25zyyxdi said:
IIt's quite odd - everything just feels really easy.
That is the impression I have got from mine, and even though I'm running rigid, the soft fat tyres just eat up all the little bumps and buzz.

Adrian, I'm running tubeless on the KTM and all up it is currently 9kgs. I could lose a little more weight with a carbon crank, but any more calls for a carbon frame; Jon is running 1 x 11 and carbon frame, plus Niner all carbon forks and he's got his down to 8.2kgs, so I'm pretty happy with my budget effort.

Re:

...my 2 penneth. I have ridden the same old routes on my MTB's for the last 20 odd years and have ridden many bikes over that same old terrain. For me nothing has come close to riding my 29er! The routes are XC with a technical edge of windy close tree dodging sections, bomb crater roller coaster sections and really rooty windy parts too. The 29er performs the best on all of them! Or does it? For me its not that it is a faster bike, more that is allows me to feel more confident therefore I am on the brakes less. As a taller chap (as you are too Neil) I have found the geometry and just general feel of the bike more suited to me. I do really notice that it rolls better over the bumps and roots that my 26er wheel bikes. And I don't really notice that its not as flickable/agile, it does take more effort to lift the front wheel but once you adjust to that I haven't noticed it. For me it feels more stable to ride, more reliable and grounded feeling.

So much so that the 26" Rock Lobster I had built for this winter, just doesn't do it for me. So this weekend I have taken the cheaper components off the Lobster and but them on the 29er along with some mud tyres and took that out today in the muddier trails that are now upon us! I don't know much about the 650b wheel size and have not ridden one. But what I do know is that at the 2 bike events I have ridden this year I would say 75-80% of bikes are 29ers. Call that a fashion trend?...or call that evolution? Also I know of many fellow retro bikers who hold a fondness for the retro bike but when they have a couple of hours to go for a spin choose their 29er. For those who don't get it...why not try it? Its not for everyone, but it could be a revelation!

Doug

Re:

Brilliant, thanks Doug.

Do you find it odd riding a 26" after the 29'er? Or is it just different?

Re: Re:

NeilM":1yxjbs92 said:
Brilliant, thanks Doug.

Do you find it odd riding a 26" after the 29'er? Or is it just different?

I have to say odd. It felt like riding a 20" BMX! 26" wheel bikes for me are a nostalgic ride not the best ride. Then I have been riding 29ers for the last 18 months as my 1st choice. I have just got used to how they ride. I prefer the ride and the ride position is more suited to my abused 40 year old back!

wookiee":1eq642gr said:
The History Man":1eq642gr said:
What size do you ride Doug?

Mrs Doug is a size 12...

OOOooh bike...the Marin was a 19.5" centre to top, which they called a large, and the Santa Cruz is 19" also their large. I am 6ft 3-4ish but have a long reach (like a gorilla...or a wookiee!)

Re:

I've been riding 29ers now for about 5 years and will be putting together my 4th very soon, to say I'm convinced would be an understatement, but funnily enough I've just finished building a 26er (Cotic Soul). I'm more inclinded to suggest that the wheel size is only one (albeit fairly significant) parameter of a bike and as such the Soul has found a gap to fill. I do enjoy a trip to a trail centre now and then and I reckon I've had the most fun on this type of bike, so for me if you want to pigeon hole bikes by their wheel size then yes you might one day think that a 26er might be the way to go but I'd suggest looking at the whole package rather than whatever the wheelsize might be. FWIW its hard to see much development in 26 inch wheeled bikes, the 650b movement has been rather aggresive but I do think it will coexist with 29er's rather than one size being all conquering.

Back