Junk bike challenge 2023

Road, offroad or gravel? How long a route?
We should also break this down into geographic areas. E.g. Folks from Inverness won't be heading over to St Austell, even if the tea, cakes and bike chat are really good there.

Also, basic consumables like tyres, tubes, chains, cables, etc shall not count towards the £40 budget, otherwise we are encouraging folks to ride bikes that are not road-worthy.
Pedals and saddles open to personal choice outside of the budget constraints as well?
Agreed, safety items excluded.

Midlands somewhere?

90% road and a little bit of bridleway?

Just had a wee peek with a £40 filter on ebay and gumtree, just out of interest (& excitement).
Within a 50 mile radius, there's half a dozen horrible bso jobbies and one old gaspiper that actually resembles a bicycle, but it's a mixte and in the wrong size for me. 🤪
Wouldn't want to do a century on any of them!

Just had a wee peek with a £40 filter on ebay and gumtree, just out of interest (& excitement).
Within a 50 mile radius, there's half a dozen horrible bso jobbies and one old gaspiper that actually resembles a bicycle, but it's a mixte and in the wrong size for me. 🤪
Wouldn't want to do a century on any of them!
For the budget proposed the right bikes are out there you just have to be patient and not too snobby about tubing and components 😁

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Could be up for a local event perhaps a country wide multi meet type thing all on the same day with a similar route (length, elevation, road/bridleway mix).
All bikes donated to a local charity afterwards.
Perhaps if we get a few meets with a sensible distance of each other the ride is to a meeting pointing mid way?

Zero interest in having to load up and drove somewhere miles away just to ride, I'm all for the "step out your door" ethos of riding l.

Back