John Olsen designed Montagna? What frame is this?

Re: Re:

kyle888":pemwabdb said:
So... can we see the decals now?

kyle

Ya, wanted to get the pics up last night, but really busy last 2 days with work.

Aright, so here is the frame and all its high BB glory. Now, what in the hell is Montagna Innovations?

Attachments

• Montagna Decal.JPG
    Montagna Decal.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 820
  • Montagna Andale decal.JPG
    Montagna Andale decal.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 812
  • Montagna Fork decal.JPG
    Montagna Fork decal.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 812
  • Montagna Tange Triple Butted MTB decal.JPG
    Montagna Tange Triple Butted MTB decal.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 811
  • Montagna Head Badge.JPG
    Montagna Head Badge.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 812
  • Montagna Side rear.JPG
    Montagna Side rear.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 818
  • Montagna side front.JPG
    Montagna side front.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 822
Re: What frame is this? Can you guess?

Few more pics of the unique design.

Attachments

• Montana underside seat stay.JPG
    Montana underside seat stay.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 808
  • Montagna rear brake roller.JPG
    Montagna rear brake roller.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 809
  • Montagna seat stay.JPG
    Montagna seat stay.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 809
  • Montagna BB Side.JPG
    Montagna BB Side.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 809
  • Montagna BB back.JPG
    Montagna BB back.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 809

singletrackmac":fu8fsrvw said:

Nice. X2 ;) ;) ;)

20039662893_f2154e5fa0_b.jpg

22659185406_7b3ddc582d_b.jpg

Crantinope":d0cu7nye said:
singletrackmac":d0cu7nye said:

Nice. X2 ;) ;) ;)

20039662893_f2154e5fa0_b.jpg

22659185406_7b3ddc582d_b.jpg

Nice looking ride! Love all the cool and unique details. Curious how the BB area looks a lot like the one on the montagna. So I am wondering if the montagna was made in the same factory as your offroad? Do you know where your bike was made?

Also, it seems that the montagna I have is linked to John Olsen in one way or another. I am hoping it is one that he designed, but not so sure.

Does anyone know anything about Montagna mountain bikes? There is almost no info on the web about them. Any info would be great!

Re:

I have spoken with John Olsen a few months ago. We spoke about the 1984 Cannondale SM500 design and about bike evolution.
John tried to built compact bikes for hard and technical grounds. He loves trial with that East mtb philosophy were they prefered bikes for climbing and for riding in mud. Big aluminum stays was a problem for Cannondale : not enough space between stays, chainrings and tires and, with a classic 26", chainstays will be too long. So, he thought about a 24" rear wheel.
For your bike, I think that John Olsen wanted a short rear frame, but without elevated chainstays. So, he designed those under BB stays fir keeping very short geometry and keeping too enough space around tire for mud.

Re: Re:

24pouces":3errns8c said:
I have spoken with John Olsen a few months ago. We spoke about the 1984 Cannondale SM500 design and about bike evolution.
John tried to built compact bikes for hard and technical grounds. He loves trial with that East mtb philosophy were they prefered bikes for climbing and for riding in mud. Big aluminum stays was a problem for Cannondale : not enough space between stays, chainrings and tires and, with a classic 26", chainstays will be too long. So, he thought about a 24" rear wheel.
For your bike, I think that John Olsen wanted a short rear frame, but without elevated chainstays. So, he designed those under BB stays fir keeping very short geometry and keeping too enough space around tire for mud.

Wow, great stuff! Thanks for the info. Although I thought trails was a North West thing, not east.

Another interesting thing about this find is that the bike project i bought the Montagna at also had this for sale along with the matching fork. Hmmmmm...

Attachments

• Edge.jpg
    Edge.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 574
Re:

Nice pink frame : John Olsen worked with C'dale for their first mtb frame with the 24" rear wheel. But C'dale prefered a 69/70 front angle and for John Olsen, rhat bike didn't handle fine. So, in 1987, he worked with Raleigh USA for that trial bike which used front 26" wheel and rear 24" wheel and a 72 front angle.
You want to sale the frameset ?

Back