Jack Taylor Tandem (1975)

Tommy27

Retro Guru
IMG-20220903-WA0012[99].jpg

We've been lent this by a friend, with the view to buying. Mostly original according to him and he's a fair bit of experience with tandems. Front hub seems a later addition as with handlebars, but 650b super champion rims, Lefol mudguards, Mafac Tandem Canti's, Campag Rally and T.A. cranksets. Jack Taylor racks of course, stoker stem and original paint.

Only major issue is that rear seatpost NEEDS replacing. We had to pop can shim it, since otherwise it moves- front is also 26, so while maybe a later addition, obviously was right at some stage. Take it we should look for one a few .m bigger, but would we be looking at 26.2 or 26.4? Seatpost also moves at saddle clamp unless tightened more than we'd like it to be.

First time I've ever been on a Tandem, missus has tried before and so wanted to be the pilot this time. We survived the test flight... . I'm quite happy to be stoker, but this is going to lead to some fit issues, although I'm 5'8 to her 5'5. Bars are way too small and we recon we'd like Randonnuer style

I really like the bars on here

I do however ride a 42 as a minimum, however on my Audax Bike have the Rivendell/ Nitto "Noodle" at 46. Wondering if Randonnuer's for the Pilot and Dirt Drops for me? It's not great to be on the tops because of tiny width (they're 36 at ends I think) and well... despite not being too much shorter the pilot doesn't have the longest legs and so basically ends up practically sat on my hands...

Any advice from anyone who rides with a shorter pilot than them?

In terms of other flaws, mudguard is missing one of the stay bolts, so does flex a little- does anyone know how easy these are to source? Rear drum has a little play and rear saddle is probably on it's way out, way too squishy for my tastes. Oh yeah dynamo will have to be reconnected by someone who understands the internal wiring since it's been snipped by the previous but one owner for some reason. On that note can anyone recommend any 650b tires with tough enough sidewalls for a bottle dynamo but better performance than these Michelin world tour?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Taken it out for a couple of rides this weekend now and it's a lot of fun! However, does need some work.

Can anyone advise over the seatpost issue? I suspect that over time it's expanded, but don't won't to buy a 26.2 seatpost only to find that slips as well?

Also rear shifter seems to be knackered, Capn' changes, only for it to move back of it's own accord to the 4th cog (5 at the back)... we're guessing something is knackered in the shifter rather than the rear mech?

In regards to the position of my hands, is it worth looking into a different stoker stem set up? Are those T shaped combos I've seen on some tandems as rare as unicorn sh*te? Or will wider bars cure it? I want to stay with drops.

Rear mech sounds like the friction lever just needs tightening maybe?

I've worked on one of these, it was used as the family runabout in the 1970's, then as retirement transport 40 years later

Possibly really stupid idea or maybe need to simply order a seat post designed for this...

Captain is a little stretched and I've not enough hand clearance. What if we were the turn the seatpost round so the clamp faces forwards? Or would it just break?

Back