I've been weak ... and bought another one ... (photos added)

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Re:

From the bikes I've seen the quality of cromovelato seems to vary widely. I've seen bikes with hardly any paint left to near perfect examples. It doesn't seem to be age or usage related, more a case of how well the frame was prepped. I'd guess from the photo's, if the decals have worn but the paint hasn't, you have a good one.

Look forward to seeing more of it :)

Re: Re:

Robbied196":36ij5res said:
From the bikes I've seen the quality of cromovelato seems to vary widely. I've seen bikes with hardly any paint left to near perfect examples. It doesn't seem to be age or usage related, more a case of how well the frame was prepped. I'd guess from the photo's, if the decals have worn but the paint hasn't, you have a good one.

Look forward to seeing more of it :)

In the photos I have there is no evidence that the peeling decals have lifted any of the blue top coat ... fingers crossed.

Nice, one old boy at work rides his Pinarello in and had the flimsiest bike lock, one of those chorded kind, though we lock the bikes up on a rack of the office car park, I told him once, it'd be easy to cut that lock and ride away with it and he got a better lock. The colour of his bike is about the same as above. I think that must be there signature colour.

Weakness is a wonderful(ly expensive) thing :)

Personal taste: the 50th group has - perhaps - more character than the C-Record but I love the sleek, stylish finish to the C-Record era components.

Irrespective of what you clothe it in - lovely bike.

Re:

I'll take a view when it arrives.

The 50th has more rarity value but the C Record is sleek.

I've told the wife I will sell the red one with the 50th group to make way for this one.

Re: Re:

colnagolover":3a0vxa72 said:
Montello":3a0vxa72 said:
I've told the wife I will sell the red one with the 50th group to make way for this one.

Did weakness just get less costly ;) ?

I have told her I will sell it, I have not actually done it yet ;)

Long term I doubt I will keep them both.

That's lovely! looks in very decent condition too. Cromovelato is generally quite fragile, as it's lacquer on chrome so just doesn't stick well. From what I've found, the preparation is important (just as it is when putting anything on top of chrome), but also how it's been looked after. If it's ridden in the wet, sweated on, and not wiped down after, then once the lacquer starts to lift, the humidity gets under it and it starts flaking more and more. Even just being stored for a long time in a humid place can cause it to start flaking. The first places to go are usually on the toptube where it either gets sweated on or banged (which can also cause the lacquer to separate from the chrome), and at the edges where the lacquer stops. More or less the same places as a painted frame, but where a painted frame sill usually scratch and can be touched up if necessary, cromovelato will start flaking and is difficult to stop once started. It might be worth investigating a clear lacquer over the existing one, before adding decals?

Re:

Thanks for that. Maybe I should do the decals then get it lacquered.

I was thinking the lacquer would change the look of the finish.

Back