It's snowing (Apple Mac fans)

I'm a bit of a luddite so I'll be sticking with 10.4 at home.

I run 10.5 at work on a couple of our newer Mac Pros and they cause all manner of network permissions problems with our (somewhat older) XServe so I'm quite keen to see if 10.6 will fix that particular issue or make it worse.

JohnH":37zm5wwj said:
I've installed Snow Leopard, but I can't see any difference in speed (although to be fair, I only bought my Mini in July, so the HDD hasn't had a chance to be fragmented or bunged up with crap). It also misbehaves in ways that Leopard didn't so I'm thinking of re-installing 10.5.
I'd like to revise my opinion. Snow Leopard's taken a day or so to get it's crap together, but -- Lord Lummy! -- it's damn fast now. I booted the Mini up from cold (which didn't take long to complete) and then clicked on the 'Safari' icon on the Dock. The icon did half a bounce and BANG! Safari was up and running and ready to go! We're literally talking about 1 or 1.5 seconds from "click" to up-and-running.

I have installed some extra memory this afternoon which might have helped, but others are reporting that their Macs are getting faster as time goes on without any hardware changes. I can only assume that there's some kind of optimising process going on. :?

Crayons":37zm5wwj said:
I'm a bit of a luddite so I'll be sticking with 10.4 at home.
Don't be so hard on yourself, Crayons. I'd still be using Tiger today if I hadn't traded my old 2006 Mini in for a 2009 model. I loved it! :)

Back