It's ENORMOUS! Ready Steady Cook

My 29er came with 720mm bars and I thought that the steering was a bit twitchy. Swapped them out for some 700mm bars I had kicking about and its a lot more stable. A shorter stem would probably have had the same effect though.

Re:

Mine are 720mm Easton Haven carbon and they are a great bar....get them for about £30 2nd hand

Re:

Russell is right.. wide is ok but with short stem.

might end up trimming a little off mine. Not sure.

El Guapo flat inbound to play with along with a 65mm stem and a few other bits to make up the £20. Nice socks, cheap skewers, gt85 for £1.99. On one/Planet X have some bargain deals at present.

El Guapos arrived along with all the other bits. Fitted then ended up taking an inch a side off them. 65mm stem also better. This was after a quick ride on the Explosif. Have to say it felt like a noddy bike at first. Very short, light and nimble by comparison with the Charge. Both have their advantages. both will stay.

Re:

55cd045392de74df77fca7361036ebd2_zpsc5a93b02.jpg

El guapo bars and 65 mm stem, odi grips, lezyne power drive, saddle bag with tool, levers, spare tube, patches and winter mud attire fitted as I don't see the point of getting dirty when guards have been invented.

After the first climb and a little trundle decided that it still wasn't quite right for the old THM back so it being a nice day, nice scenery, no hurry, stopped and flipped the stem as you do.
49f3585bbc7e0f2682f0898d7a9d9d72_zpsbdbd30b6.jpg

Much improved so on to the muddy sections. I'm not sure how it works but despite filling up the tread still retained grip and drive. Once through and onto the steep rocky downhill was a little worried as the tyres hadn't had chance to clear. Again, despite carrying the mud the knobs gripped and inspired confidence. Reaching the really nasty logging tracks that had been badly chewed, the fron and rear broke away on the off camber turns with a predictable and catchable grin inducing attention grabbing buttock clenching slide.

Up to THAT gate.

8a030e2a117acace107892e52125f029_zps717b04c8.jpg

The higher shorter stem, fatter grips and winter tyres have made this my best set up to date. The steering has really quickened up allowing quick changes and catches al la 26".

Forgotten how sapping proper winter cotswold plasticine mud is so called it a day after about eight miles and headed home the short tarmac way. Tyres cleared nicely at about 20mph. Got home rapidly cooling, damp and muddy to find mrs HM had gone shopping and locked me out. I know I'm well insured but.....

Back