It was 20 years ago today...

Brilliant adventure. Good to know that despite our unhealthy interests in top end machines we can still savour the crunch of stone under ancient Cheng Sins :cool:

This tale has made me think about my first real outing on my Cannondale back in 1986. I'd like recreate that adventure one day but could do without the crash that ripped off the top of my saddle and left me to ride 16 miles around the 'Dales standing up :roll:

Come November that old 'Dale might just find itself out on those Yorkshire Hills once again ;)

That is toptastic, got a big grin on my face after Reading that, wish I could remember my first proper ride out, would have been 1990 around the saddleworth moors or Derbyshire way- as someone says, the reason we are all here, summer days, goalposts for jumpers....

i think we're dragging some ralieghs up the pentlands on friday

top pics there john ,what part of the country's that ?

cheating a bit using a bike that fits you tho :D

Nice write-up there John, :cool: :cool: :cool:

The Raleigh actually dare I say looks stunning in the photo's too :cool: :cool: :cool: it's nice to see as a refreshing change that a low-end bike has been so well looked after/stored.

But it's got to be said that you're a brave man running on those tyres :shock: :shock: :LOL:

Absolutely tremendous stuff, the fact that the weather is so good definitely adds to the overall magical feel (indeed it makes me go all misty eyed with my own memories).

Nice touch with your shorts being worth more than the bike (assuming you didn't run to Assos at 13).

The ride was around Cheltenham. A few on here are local or will have ridden those trails with me.

ededwards":2edxj76y said:
Absolutely tremendous stuff, the fact that the weather is so good definitely adds to the overall magical feel (indeed it makes me go all misty eyed with my own memories).

Nice touch with your shorts being worth more than the bike (assuming you didn't run to Assos at 13).

indeed, have to say the ride was tingedd with a certain melancholy.

No assos on that first ride oddly, nor carbon s-works shoes which you normally pick up on. Think it was BHS' finest bermuda shorts and some hi-tec squash x4. The first shorts i did ride were those caratti specials you enjoyed so at MM.

John":g3l5h3by said:
No assos on that first ride oddly, nor carbon s-works shoes which you normally pick up on.
Yeah, spotted those but thought I'd cut you a little slack as it's your 20th Anniversary.
John":g3l5h3by said:
The first shorts i did ride were those caratti specials you enjoyed so at MM.
Sorry for cleaving the chamois clean open at MM. But what a way to go out - wallhangers perhaps?

Thats a great read John. We all started somewhere and its fantastic that you've gone right back to those early roots. Thats a very tasty find too, loving the reflector on the front!

Nice trip down (or rather up) memory lane, but I'm with Carl on this one. Judging by the amount of seatpost showing, that frame is far too small for you; it almost looks like a normal MTB.

As a rule of thumb when sizing Raleigh bikes for teenagers, while seated (with the seatpost stuffed irretrievably into the frame) there should be a minimum of two inches clearance between the ground and your outstretched toes - anything less is unsafe, and leaves no room for the rider "to grow into the frame". Moreover, the frame is probably also unnecessarily lighter and stiffer than had it been sized correctly.

Yet another reason to support your local Halfords rather than using risky internet shopping sites.

Back