It was 20 years ago today...

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Let me take you back.

The year is 1990. New Kids on the Block top the charts. England are cheated out of certain world cup glory (once again) by the Germans. Mountain Biking is 'cool' in the same way Yo-Yos, skateboards, BMXs and rubiks cubes were before. A callow 13 year old is promised one of these mountain bikes for his upcoming birthday. He duly receives a year old 23" Raleigh Mirage - just the ticket for a growing lad. The bike is collected and several months of fun riding round the Cotswolds are had until a collision with a rather large and firm tree permanently steepens the head angle of that first Raleigh. A spiralling upgrade path ensues (and stalls around 1995) which ultimately leads to the youth setting up a certain website dedicated to his passion.

Fast forward 19 years.

The aforementioned young man (me if you hadn't guessed) is now in his mid 30s. A vague idea and a quick trip to http://www.eBay.co.uk nets a replacement (and straight) 1989 Raleigh Mirage complete with Biopace and Cheng Shin centre ridge tyres. This one fits a little better being a 19", almost looking 'small' compared to normal Raleigh sizing from that era.

main.php

Raleigh Mirage - the second coming

On the day of the 20th anniversary of my first MTB ride I set out to repeat that exact ride. Same trails, same rider, identical bike, 20 years difference. The ride started with a couple of miles on the road to reach my old local stomping ground of Leckhampton Hill. The bike actually felt well enough. The biopace was soon forgotten and the exage components seemed surprisingly competent. About the only thing of note was the steering which felt unusually stable and slow, assume a combination of head angle and fork rake - ideal for long stints on the paper round no-handed. Soon the flat roads gave way to the hill proper with a mile and a bit rough climb up the scarp edge of the Cotswolds. Back in 1990 it felt akin to riding up a real mountain, I recall that particular seemingly never ending purgatory very well. This time although the legs (and Cheng Shins) weren't quite willing to clear the entire climb the Raleigh made it most of the way to the top.

main.php

Most of the way to the top

It was only necessary to push Nottingham’s finest 501 framed cycle up the final loose, steep section.

main.php

The final push

Once the climb had been bettered the Raleigh easily cruised the familiar trails along the edge of the hill, past the Iron Age fort and trig point to the dreaded 'Lecky Bombhole'. It had taken a couple of rides before I plucked up the courage to ride the bombhole back in '90. This time I piked it once again. 20 something years of dragging back brakes had left a couple of rocky drops which I didn't fancy - maybe next time.

main.php

There be monsters - Lecky bombhole. Piked in '90. Piked in '10

The final section of the ride was the best bit then and the best bit now. The descent. Staying true to that first ride I followed the path of the old tramway. Down past 'Devil's Chimney' to another highlight of those first rides, 'Rock Step'. Like the bombhole this section had been refused first time out. This time it was cleared with ease despite the Cheng Shins - if I'm honest due to the fact the rock step bit of 'Rock Step' was removed 10 or so years ago rather than any skill on my part. The Raleigh was pointed down the remainder of the tramway to the final part of the descent, 'Daisybank'. This was formerly one of my favourite trails anywhere, a fast and relatively short path down a grassy rolling bank onto the road. Once again time and 1000s of wheels hadn't treated the trail well, it was cut up bad although still fun enough. No danger today of beating that max speed I'd registered on my Avocet 30 back in around '93. And so with that it was back home on the road for a spot of lunch and cake. Excellent.

main.php

The view from the bottom

So how was it 20 years on? Great, although it seems almost unfeasible that two decades have passed. I've ridden and owned quite a few bikes in the intervening years, all of them with more 'pedigree' than the Mirage. However I can honestly say I enjoyed the ride in 2010 as much as I used to on that same old Raleigh back in 1990.

What next for the Raleigh? Doubt it'll be a regular rider but it has a place in the garage for sure. Maybe I'll dig it out in 2030 for the 40th anniversary ;)

main.php

Same trails, same rider, identical bike, 20 years difference

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Brilliant write up john, great memories are usually hard to equal.

That bike is in great condition, I guess it was hid in shed for most of those 20 years.

The Ken":3kayhbyn said:
Brilliant write up john, great memories are usually hard to equal.

That bike is in great condition, I guess it was hid in shed for most of those 20 years.

Thanks Ken, great memories indeed.

It was super clean. The bloke dropped it off for me. Apparently he only used it in more recent times to go to and from the pub around Xmas.

You got me remembering where I grew up with my Raleigh Mustang now, good days!

(but I am not going to hunt down another mustang in order to relive them :LOL: )

Great stuff John. I really enjoyed reading that.
I've got my eye on a 1988/89 Peugeot on eBay at the moment. It's almost identical to my first mountain bike too.

Should I take the plunge?

Congrats, a great read. I just bought a Mirage too - 1990 in purple. I like it so much I just sold my road bike.

Rob, cheers. Think the Mirage was a good starter with hindsight. Not sure I'd have bought another if my first was a 'stang or Free Spirit.

drystonepaul":2folili1 said:
Great stuff John. I really enjoyed reading that.
I've got my eye on a 1988/89 Peugeot on eBay at the moment. It's almost identical to my first mountain bike too.

Should I take the plunge?

I'm an enabler Paul. Of course you should ;)

It's almost identical to my first mountain bike too.

I still have my first MTB. :D

I wonder if I could find the same bike as my first racer, although I'm not sure I'd actually want one. :?

Back