It was 20 years ago today...

20 yrs ago today - living in Tunbridge Wells, no sprogs, one bicycle, four motorbikes, one Mrs Panda, one dog and a bloomin'good time bein' had by all :p

senses new thread comin' on :D

Nice one John,

Still got my first MTB.....and most of the rest I have owned over the years too :roll: Better get it to Llanwrtyd Wells to re-live the 'Easter MTB Festival'

Going through a lot of 'misty-eyed-memories' type stuff at the mo with things I have kept hidden away for years :D

Spooky!

Funny, my first 'proper' mountain bike ride was that identical one, yet in reverse.

Strangely enough 20 years ago also!

Raleigh Cobra, 15spd, non SIS.

Plenty of pushing from the bottom of Daisy Bank, right the way upto the bomb hole!

:D

This thread on the main page made me start being a regular here again LOL.

Magic tale. I used to cycle the very same route, and weirdly recognised it from the pictures, before reading the text ! I used to have a Dawes Ascent, and cycled exactly the same loop from my flat on Bath Road. I’m going to have to sort a visit back there soon, after spending some nostalgia time on google earth. I think I started in 1989, then moved to a 1990 Kona Cindercone from BikeTech in Cheltenham town centre. Man I loved that shop too…

I did spend a fair amount of time up there – the bombhole was a favourite! As was spending time up there after the long climb up the Leckhampton Road ! I didn’t ride with the local club – but casually raced with a couple of mates under the moniker ‘Team Beaver’ – we even printed up T shirts lol… We were regulars in BIke Tech at one point, I used the workshops to replace the Cindercone’s BB at one point. Can’t remember names sadly.

Spent too much time in Hunters drinking stella… After which, I’d wander home via the Bike Tech halogen lit windows. Too much window licking ) Was a right flashback seeing your pics.

I’m back up scotland these days, and riding downhill bikes for grins – I remember thinking ‘that downhilling will never catch on’ when at the Malverns Classics one year…

Great stuff! Looks like a fun ride too.

I still have my first "real" mountain bike from 1991......and it is dutifully awaiting a resto. Someday, someday.....unfortunately not likely to finish in 2011. But we'll see!

Latest posts

Back