Is this what we dream of seeing in a secondhand shop?

S1m0nR":3hkk7f5k said:
Good for you - that's a superb buy.

Your old bike doesn't look half bad y'know - I've ridden a lot worse (cosmetically) - A strip-down a rebuild would only take an afternoon and it'll be lovely to ride again.

Enjoy!
Unfortunately it will need a bit more work than that, the spokes are almost rusted though, I don't think the wheels would take my weight, and I wouldn't dare risk ruining those beautiful Fiamme rims, so I think a full rebuild is required....but it will be a labour of love. :D

Re:

Well it has taken a few weeks and a lot of scouting around for parts but finally the 53 Cinelli is ready to ride.
completed%201_zpsmixxmtl9.jpg

I used as many of the 50's parts that I could but I had to make compromises depending on what was available but I think I have captured the spirit of the bike quite well.

The paint design is the same as it was when I first got the bike in the early sixties, the ghost of the bands on the seat tube could still be seen, so I copied them exactly.

Comparison shot.
OldCinelli_zpsa931d163.jpg

Congratulations Spadge, that is a beauty! Did you do the frame re-finishing yourself? Looks like a very tidy job particularly the lugs and fork/stay ends.

You were concerned about damaging the rims so I'm guessing the wheels have been rebuilt using the original rims/hubs.

Anyway, hopefully the weather will improve a bit soon and you can get out and enjoy it.

Thanks for posting the picture - feel free to post a whole load more :)

S1m0nR":1n7mbbmq said:
Did you do the frame re-finishing yourself? I'm guessing the wheels have been rebuilt using the original rims/hubs

Yes I did all the work myself, including all the brazing and welding (all the gear cable eyes were missing also the gear hanger lug had been hack-sawed off)

I made all the eyes on my lathe, The hanger lug was taken from an old frame with simplex drop-outs so it was correct for the Cinelli's drop-outs. I also made new brake spindles from stainless steel as the old ones were not servicable, and also a new stainless seatpin clamp bolt.

The wheels are Rigida Rush rims on Pelissier hubs which came from a boot sale, I am waiting for new spokes to arrive so that I can have a go at rebuilding the old wheels (Fiamme rims on F.B. hubs, cones on the front hub date-stamped 1949)

Spadger":39xelx6g said:
Yes I did all the work myself, including all the brazing and welding (all the gear cable eyes were missing also the gear hanger lug had been hack-sawed off)

In that case if I had a hat on, I'd take it off to you! Absolutely first class job.

Re:

This is what the frame looked like after the stripping and welding was completed, you can clearly see the ghost of the banding on the seat tube.

Cinelli%20no%204_zpsoslkzvjd.jpg

Interesting dragonfly logo on the chain-stays I have read about this mark, but no-one seems to know what it means.

Cinelli%20no%205_zpsgeyfjxau.jpg

That is a lovely job that you have done, with a great colour scheme and components. Your build is inspiring me to continue with the rebuild of my Harrison, which I have had since the mid-60s. It would be great to see some more pics of your bike.

Re:

I have now discovered that the dragonfly logo on the chain-stays is the trademark of "Libellula" (italian for dragonfly) tubing manufactured by Castello Mario & Figlio of Torino, Italy during the 1950s.

dragonfly%20advert_zpsvzpuu4t4.jpg

Back