Is this what we dream of seeing in a secondhand shop?

Lovely find on the new one, but the old freind you have been reunited with will hold the sentimental value for sure.
A bit of cut and polish and a scrub with autosol and she'll be fine ;)

keep us updated
Jamie

Jamiedyer":2hieonxu said:
A bit of cut and polish and a scrub with autosol and she'll be fine ;)

A bit more than "cut and polish" I'm afraid, the orange on the top tube isn't paint...it's rust :?

It is great that you have got your old bike back. I am sure that as you restore it you will remember specific rides on it from the past.

Re:

I have started by trying to find out the age of the bike, this advertisement from 1952 shows a frame using the same fork crown, but this frame has a seat pin clamp ring, mine has the later "fastback" system, which came in , in 1953.
Maybe the equipment gives a clue, it has FB hubs and Fiammi rims, when I first owned it, it had benelux gears (since been changed and the braised lug removed) and a stronglight cottered chainset which it retains, although it is very rusty. sadly the lovely brass head badge has been lost, as has the steel Cinelli handlebar stem.

1952advert_zpsc352083e.jpg

I worked in cash converters for many years and any seller had to have a least two recent forms of id etc before we'd even entertain buying goods. Only one bike slipped through and I ended up iding the guy at the local police station.

I paid £60 for a cineli at Rottingdean car boot many moons ago.

Good work!
I love stories like this.....it's almost fate that you found the yellow one, which enabled the older one to come home :0)

Good for you - that's a superb buy.

Your old bike doesn't look half bad y'know - I've ridden a lot worse (cosmetically) - A strip-down a rebuild would only take an afternoon and it'll be lovely to ride again.

Enjoy!

It does look a treat, and if bar height and reach are fine for you, you've made an economic and 'artistic' pact with the devil over the front end, Nitto make a lovely quill stem that is level\pointing up slightly {mine on bike and not at hand to check}and all Nitto stems have longer 'necks' than other brands that helps getting height

Back