Is this right? strange bottom bracket issues..

LeePrice

Dirt Disciple
Hya everyone

So I`m building up a Trek 950 and fitted a Shimano Deore FC MT60 crankset with a vintage XT 122.5mm bottom bracket which the same seller supplied me with as matching. I had a bit of bother getting the bottom bracket in as the threads on the frame were a bit messed up and needed cleaning out with a needle. After a lot of messing about I got the bracket in with the large sealing washer thing flush with the frame on the drive train side. Now I`m not sure if it`s ok..the crank arm on the drive train side is further out than on the left side by quite a margin. Moving the arms close to the frame the clearance on the left side is noticably tighter as can be seen in the pictures. At the moment I can`t get first gear on the bike but the derailleur barrel adjuster is broken and can`t be moved so I`m going to replace the derailleur.

Is this correct?? thanks for any help or advice..much appreciated. Lee

tcQcn4m

hDs9xhV

Re:

having to right click and open the picture in a new tab

122.5 and MT60 is the right setup

Have you got a picture of the drive side bottom bracket look.

the none drive side seems to be well inside the frame (not normal).

and yes, normally the arm would be less than 1cm from the frame, often almost touching.

Measure the width of the frames Bottom bracket shell, is it 68 or 73mm?

Re:

Yeah...I hoped the photos showed up on the post but they don`t...I think you can right click the link and open them up in another tab though??

Many thanks

Lee

The right hand collar has come off, when it should be the Lefthand collar. Are the collars on the correct way round? Had the the other week, when I realised I'd put the bottom bracket in the wrong way round because the collars where the wrong way round.

Re:

Hya Matt

I`m not sure what you mean...if you look at the picture of the bottom bracket it shows left to right with the "collar" on the right side..as fitted??

As far as I've always known the left hand collar to be the one that comes off, and the right hand knee is fixed to the bb. But on occasions where things are sized I've bashed out the bootom bracket leaving the right hand collar now loose. It won't affect the actual workings of the bb, but now both collars are loose, and now the bb could be installed the wrong way round.

Latest posts

Back