Is this naughty thought socially acceptable?

bj

Retro Guru
For years my riding buddy and i have often stopped at pubs towards the end of a ride. Being creatures of habit, we usually have one pint each with a small bag of scratchings and one of nuts. Yesterday, we were charged nearly £16, up £4 from last month, and nearly twice what we were paying not so long ago.
As pensioners, we have decided enough is enough.

So, is it a naughty thought to consider filling a flask with beer and take it with us? Stopping at a pub for a drink is seen as ok, but taking it with you in a flask appears desperate, bordering on alcoholism! Wine might travel better but a flask of wine seems even more desperate!

hip flask of Scotch. I've treked up mountains, crossed countries (ok, may counties on foot but countries on bike) and floated down rivers with one, it's rarely out of my pack for big adventures.

Why not use this, a good excuse to bring a drink, I think? (King cage)

View attachment 647795
Becauuusssseeee. I'M NOT A FECKING HIPSTER. :p
hip flask, thus named because it sits in your hip pocket, out of sight, where only you, your false hip and your riding buddy know it's there.

I do have a small set of stainless steel, stackable tumblers (makes what is a thimble for a fat thumb sound grand) to go with it, I'm not a complete monster.

note: I don't have a false hip, I'm all man, except for when I'm not, then I'm at least 80% man.
:)

Cheeky to drink your own drink in a pub?

I had a chap on a walk I was running pulled out his jam sandwiches in a cafe which I thought was a bit jammy!!!

Sometimes I'd stop by the local supermarket before heading on my journeys, filling it with carton wines and cans. Important to stay hydrated, and even more important to starve out overpriced pubs.

At 16 quid for two pints and a packet of crisps, I'd stock up my own fridge! Then just enjoy when you get home. I can't see how taking beer with you would work... It would get warm and frothed about in a flask... I am somewhat out of touch, I still have memories of 10p a pint happy hours at uni, and when I do get back to the UK paying 4 or 5 quid a pint seems like a huge expense. Things have got more expensive here in Spain, but a chilled litre bottle of beer (near enough 2 pints in proper measures) from the local shop still only costs a quid....

Back