Is this Klein legit?

Looks like my memory wasn't quite there. I found my old frame via Google images and linked back to the buyers bike thread on here.

It seems my forks were triple cour, not plain yellow. I can't recall if I bought the frame and fork with the mc1 or if I sourced that separately, but mine was black not yellow.

Like you, I wanted to tick the Klein box. I did the yo of sorts, again bought it too small but I can at least say I owned one.

Looks like my memory wasn't quite there. I found my old frame via Google images and linked back to the buyers bike thread on here.

It seems my forks were triple cour, not plain yellow. I can't recall if I bought the frame and fork with the mc1 or if I sourced that separately, but mine was black not yellow.

Like you, I wanted to tick the Klein box. I did the yo of sorts, again bought it too small but I can at least say I owned one.
Memory was good enough to lead me in the right direction, so thank you for that 👍

One thing I did spot on the pics of my old frame was that the model decal had a yellow 'splat' behind it which I think was a world map/continent image which may be how it differentiated between pinnacle and elite model?

One thing I did spot on the pics of my old frame was that the model decal had a yellow 'splat' behind it which I think was a world map/continent image which may be how it differentiated between pinnacle and elite model?
I have been doing some more digging and have been forced to reassess my earlier assumptions.

Klein alternated between making Pinnacles or Pinnacle Elites or both in the same year. Mine isn't a 1989 or a 1990 and it isn't an Elite, it's a 91 Pinnacle, 91 was a year when there wasn't an Elite model, the buyer must have upgraded to a 2 colour fade paintjob which is why it's been so hard to find another example.

The rims were bothering me because mine has Campy Thorrs, and although they are listed in the 91 catalogue I skipped over it because the picture looked so different from mine, I fixated on the 1990 Elite because it looked so similar. The 91 catalogue picture shows no decal for pinnacle, but the spec sheet matches perfectly, I guess they were still working on the final design or something when the catalogue went to press.

Thanks to your nagging memory for keeping me unsure and driving me towards the correct answer 👍

1991 Klein Pinnacle DX 20'' Medium

catcut.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures from the seller.

I would say that the frame and groupset is pretty much pristine, a couple of tiny chips, the largest is on the bottom bracket but nothing scary.
53.jpg 45.jpg 44.jpg 43.jpg 41.jpg 37.jpg 33.jpg 18.jpg IMG_2856.JPG IMG_2855.JPG

However....
34.jpg
I have very little experience with Aluminium and oxidization, how bad is it? A deal breaker? I have no issue having them repaired or replaced, if that was the BB then I'd probably abort.

What do you think?

Aren't the forks steel spinners? If so, rub down and respray though a colour match could be tricky. I would imagine the same process for alu, but I'm no expert on alloy oxidisation, never had any to deal with or worry about.

"Rascal" models took a very "normal" standard head set as well. Only Attitude and Adroit had a 31.6mm MC1 system steerer.
Also note, that in the catalogues there are a lot of deviations from the actual bikes in the shops. You can find that in alymost any build year. Seat post clampings, stems, etc.

Quite often, the catalogue photoshooting showed (proto)types that didnt really make it into mass production later on.

Your shown bike is absolute legit (European market model) and even has the original saddle, headset and seat post clamp skewer, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back