Is this cracked?

I have had 2 cracks on a steel 531 frame over a period of time . Had it repaired on both occasions { that is what I like about steel} and I am still using it for touring . Mind you I am a big chap and not a smooth pedaller and the it gets used for rough stuff as well .

Ps . I have had a titanium frame crack on a top tube as well .

I'm a sucker for blowing a full can of spray grease down most accessible tubes on a frame and the seat tube gets a coats of thick grease pushed down with a broom handle with grease covered cloth.

Any bottom bracket which has no hole in the bottom needs a 10mm hole drilling through, to allow any such water to escape.

Prevention is the key here.

Ian Raleigh":2goxisqt said:
I'm a sucker for blowing a full can of spray grease down most accessible tubes on a frame and the seat tube gets a coats of thick grease pushed down with a broom handle with grease covered cloth.

Any bottom bracket which has no hole in the bottom needs a 10mm hole drilling through, to allow any such water to escape.

Prevention is the key here.

All wise words.

That said, a pretty poor design feature if you need to take a drill to a frame, including one that new would have been north of £1,500. Reckon I will avoid any steel frame that has sealed seat tube from now on.

Back