Is this cracked?

Ouch !! that's bad luck mate :( , it's times like this when you wish you had the right tool's for the job but any how with the best of luck you'll have it sorted for a fair price ;) ..

Re:

Welll the Raleigh and Peugoets broke at the same joint as Ed's.

The Lemond broke at the d/s dropout. Just after a paint job too! :facepalm: Had a new dropout put in and repainted it. Looked ace. Then a while later, I noticed a crack either side of the downtube, where it joins the headtube. Hadn't binned it, so I couldn't understand that. Didn't want to take a chance after that one, so I DID bin it! :LOL:
The Roberts had a d/s dropout go ( can you see a pattern here? ), , so went back to Roberts, who eventually put in a solid one to replace the very ornate original number. Had a respray. The same colourscheme as my Jackson, pictured below. Then it too, broke at the bb/seattube joint. Can't remember what I did with it then. Oh, and almost forgot, the Roberts was stacked at a race about a month after I finished building it :facepalm: :shock: :(
Was rebuilt from the seat tube forwards. Other than that, it was all original! :LOL: :LOL:
One of my current steelies, held out ok so far, after 3 years, shhhhhhhh! :LOL:

Mike

Attachments

• Racer no 1.jpg
    Racer no 1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 318
IF have a crash replacement policy which basically means a new frame to the same specification but at a reduced price. However shipping the damaged frame back (part of the policy) and then subsequent VAT and duty pretty much negates the generous price reduction.

Not sure what to do but getting the existing patched up and hoping it lasts seems like a reasonable first choice so will strip it down tomorrow and go from there.

Re:

That's pretty bad mate, sorry to hear that :(

Argos? Or Bob Jackson?

Re:

That sounds like a good start. Hope they can sort it out for you bud

Mike

Rampage":1jrpt06g said:
Not just a mechanic giving his "best guess" as to whether it's cracked then?

Exactly.

However on taking it in today to look at getting it patched up, removing some paint gave this.

Like so many Fats, it's rotted through from the inside due to the sealed tube. Repair is out of the question now - not only due to cost but it would also be Trigger's broom - so will have to try to get the Little Boss to agree to it being a wall hanger, particularly as it has sentimental value.

A bit disappointed that I didn't ride it one more time this morning before dismantling. I can of course build it back up but somehow my heart isn't in it.

Attachments

• IMG_2952.jpg
    IMG_2952.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 217
Oh no! that's really bad new's mate :( and tbh i didn't expect you to be having that much of an issue so i'd just use some rust killer and tart it up just for show then .

Back