Is this acceptable from a LBS?

BigFoz":1kr9n35l said:
A M-part headset lasts as long as a Token, and that lasts as long as a Cane Creek and so on

Disagree. M-Part s the only headset I've ever encountered where the bottom race FELL OUT of the frame when the forks were taken out. It was able to be fitted by hand without tools. It was pure Kak. (That's an Afrikaans word that's not very polite)

Flared headtube.

Re: acceptable LBS

I guess it's like car maintenance, there has to be some level of developed trust or word-of-mouth recommendation. I had a similar problem on moving regions and knowing neither reputable LBS or regular riders to ask.

My failure was not to fully check the bike before leaving the shop after having an old-school 39-53 ring replaced with a more moderate triple. Front-shifting was a bit sloppy on the way home so I got the bike up on the stand when I got back. The rear rivet on the front mech had been snapped (I'm thinking by the LBS as I didn't hear anything on the ride). The LBS had also not admitted they were unable to solve the problem of front mech cable routing on a bike without built-in guides. While I applied (max) tension to the cable to get the shifter to move out the cable-tie, that I'd failed to notice securing the cable to the seat tube, snapped. Previously I'd been using an upside-down band-on rear cable guide! Luckily I had a plastic under-BB cable guide I was able to fix on with epoxy at short notice.

Moral is to inspect before exit. Not sure if it is justice but that LBS has since gone to the wall - they were nice folks but possibly didn't have enough nouse of pre-90s bikes.

Back