Is this acceptable from a LBS?

Good evening,

The bike storage is unacceptable in all cases. Where the lbs will show its' true worth is when you complain -
the attitude to your complaint
the willingness to help
any offer of compensation (if appropriate)

I have typed this before but the measure of any supplier is when things go wrong. I have had dealing with PlanetX over defective goods and they were fantastic - and i will tell everyone that, as it is only fair to promote good suppliers as we all criticise bad ones too freely.

When you calm down, give them a ring or call and see what thay say, then post.

On a final point, return of old parts would not be something i would expect UNLESS i had specifically asked for them at the time. I do know of some mechanics who will return all old/used parts back to their customers and they mention this on their websites but i would not expect it unless arranged.

Have a good evening,

Richard

Re:

Thanks for all your responses. I completely agree Richard, I didn't find time to speak to them today but I will explain the situation to them at some point and see how they deal with it. They have only opened fairly recently so it may be a result of inexperience, in which case I suppose they should be pointed in the right direction regarding issues such as the storage and double checking the skewers are tight. I should have mentioned I wanted to keep the parts, I like to recycle what I can if it's functional but I shouldn't assume others do to, so I can't blame them for that.
I'm sure they've had many happy customers, but they've got some grovelling to do if I'm to be one of them. I'll keep you posted.

I agree with Richard that the best retailers show their mettle when things go wrong. I've had a few bad, and few good but I think the best were SJS.

It sounds like everything about that LBS was sub-standard, so even if they offered a years free servicing as compensation I wouldn't be going back. One thing I think people have to realise when it comes to bike mechanics. They don't tend to get paid very well. So while there will be guys who have all the skills and suffer the low pay because they love bikes, a lot of them will just be doing a low paid job without any real incentive to care or the aptitude to do better.

At least when you work on your own bike you care!

shogun":xwl9zmow said:
I'd just be 'the guy who doesn't come back'.

That's how I feel, I would just avoid going back but they had a lovely Turbo saddle and some Cinelli bars I want :roll:
It really is the only shop around here where I can walk in and buy vintage/retro parts, so I may return when I need something, otherwise I'm limited to ebay and the forum.

Re:

With regards to the "low pay", I think the owner of the shop did the work (it's just him and 1 assistant) and his rates are £25 per hour. Personally I think that's enough to put your heart into it. That's about what I charge for brickwork and I take great pride in my work.

I only use LBS for installing headsets as their tool is a pukka one, and mine was £5 off eBay and worked once.

However, I now supply the headset after they installed an MPart 1" headset into a Colnago Master X-Lite on the basis it was a "quality HS". Err, no, it's Madison's cheapie range you plank, and I specifically asked for a Cane Creek, which I can order online next day delivery.

Am seriously considering laying out the stupendous amt for a quality headset press tool.

Re: Re:

Campagmatic":28zpjq5u said:
... his rates are £25 per hour.
Bearing in mind the overheads (rent, rates, staff, cost of capital tied up in stock, etc), I can't understand how the average LBS keeps going. It makes me wonder what the mark up must be on new bikes.

Back