Is the 1998 onwards section aimed at MTB only?

But I'll assume that don't take it too seriously is the overall ethos of that page and I'll assume there's zero objection to a hybrid 700c or something like that.

Wheel size is not an issue no, mtb's come with all size wheels.

Your question of whether you can enter a road bike in BOTM is not answered by the rule that states "no mtbs in rBOTM and vice versa"?
I also mentioned hybrids and small wheeled post 98 bikes as well. Some of those overlap both camps. I also asked about electric bikes and conversions and was just wondering what the stance is on it all. I think it's also rather apparent that I was interested to hear people's views on the idea of broadening the scope of it all, as it seems a bit arbitrary to me. At what point is a hybrid 700c bike welcome and at what point is it? I know wheel size isn't a problem, but for example my cross check is very road adjacent but is used primarily offroad, I can squeeze a 2.0 tyre in there and call it a day. Am I then welcome in the mtb camp?

Yeah, I understand that but was referring more directly towards the idea of 98 BOTM returning, as I don't think there's a modern road BOTM. I also have 2 minivelo projects, one finished, and I do wonder where that'd belong. I'd be inclined to put them in post 98 as they are but if the post 98 section is primarily mtb it makes little sense. I also ask as this section specifically leaves out MTB I'm the "Bike Chat" section, so I wasn't really aware that it was primarily aimed at mtb.

The road bike section has a pre '99 and a post 2000 section, the mtb sections are split over two separate sections.

The road bike section has a pre '99 and a post 2000 section, the mtb sections are split over two separate sections.
I am aware of the road section having multiple sections. I wasn't aware that the post 98 section supposedly was an extension of the retro mtb section. That's not very apparent at all.

I also mentioned hybrids and small wheeled post 98 bikes as well. Some of those overlap both camps. I also asked about electric bikes and conversions and was just wondering what the stance is on it all. I think it's also rather apparent that I was interested to hear people's views on the idea of broadening the scope of it all, as it seems a bit arbitrary to me. At what point is a hybrid 700c bike welcome and at what point is it? I know wheel size isn't a problem, but for example my cross check is very road adjacent but is used primarily offroad, I can squeeze a 2.0 tyre in there and call it a day. Am I then welcome in the mtb camp?

I suppose you could paint an MR2 red and stick Ferrari stickers on it (many do), it is still an MR2 though. I would imagine it makes more sense to go by what the bike was designed for originally, keeps it simpler.

What is apparent to me is that the 98 section has homed plenty of discussions related to gravel biking, small wheeled and folding bikes, and various hybrid goodness and those threads have been particularly fruitful so I think it'd make sense to broaden the scope of the 98 botm.

Well, I fucked that one didn't. The g&t was a mtb originally. Now its a gravel bike. It doesn't belong anywhere apparantly.

Well, I fucked that one didn't. The g&t was a mtb originally. Now its a gravel bike. It doesn't belong anywhere apparantly.

why? you said yourself it was an mtb, sticking different bars on it does not stop it being an mtb.

What is apparent to me is that the 98 section has homed plenty of discussions related to gravel biking, small wheeled and folding bikes, and various hybrid goodness and those threads have been particularly fruitful so I think it'd make sense to broaden the scope of the 98 botm.

Now you are taking it down to small points, the wheel size has already been established, whether you want to fold your mtb is irrelevent, and gravel bikes is just marketing phrasing.

why? you said yourself it was an mtb, sticking different bars on it does not stop it being an mtb.
Sticking 700x32c tyres on it, along woth drop bars and a selection of other road bits (cranks, brakes, saddle, pedals) though? Are we saying that the key to an mtb is the frame, not the build or intent?

I guess it's the intent of the bike then, so I'm still screwed, there is no way I'd ride it up a mountain, ita fine for gravel tracks though.

Back