1998 GT LTS XR-1000 - the best LTS they ever made!

Rahbari

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I know, this is a 1998 model and should belong into the 1998+-section. However, I think it is of more general interest over here because it was the one of the last - and in my option: the best - LTS, which were introduced in 1995.

It is a 1998 GT LTS XR-1000 and looks like this:

2141622-9myq9tan1b4i-img_0033-medium.jpg

Frist of all I want to thank rojo for his huge amount of time and energy for collecting and shipping the set to me. :D Without Jon I would not have this lovely frame.

What is so special about this Frame?

First of all, it does not appear in any catalogue. However, it is no prototype. GT revealed this frame in spring of 1998 as a mid-season model. Delivery started in summer of 1998. It was sold as a complete bike only and GTs aim was to offer a light cross-country full Suspension complete bike (24 american pounds / 10,8kg) . In the instruction booklet of the bushings set the model is mention, however without the name "LTS".
s-l500.jpg

The frame is also special in the way, that it is the last of the LTS with a straight seat tube. Model year 1998 all aluminum LTS in the catalogue already had the bent seattube ("boomerang"). The DH-models were advertised to be perfectly suitable for cross-country. Obviously, GT changed their mind a bit and introduced the XR-1000. Personally, I prefer the straight seat tube, as the frame retains ist classic look and at first glance this frame appears as a normal 95-97 LTS 1/Team.

For comparision a pic of a LTS-DH with bent seat tube with XR-1000 decals
$_1.JPG

(C) quickmik / ebay.com

GT took several measures to achieve a lighter frame compared to the "old" LTS, resp. the LTS-DH of 98:
- Multiple butted EASTON 6061 front triangle, taken from the Zaskar LE. Therefore, a German magazine used the title "Zaskar with LTS-Suspension" in their article.
- Usage of air shox at the rear: the Fox Vanilla R is considerable lighter than the Rockshox Deluxe with spring
- Linkage was milled out to save approx. 40g.
- allegedly, GT also used the plastic bushings because they were lighter than the needle bearings

My 18" frame weighs 2795g incl. rear damper and including the metal bearings/bushings upgrade (which are quite heavy). For comparison: a 95-97 LTS 1/Team with Rock Shox damper and plastic bearings are around 3050g.

As it was sold as a complete bike, GT also used light parts, including first Generation Crossmax and first Generation of SID forks. The SIDs were painted black instead of the blue. The rest of the Setup was XTR 950/952. Not sure about the other parts.

Pre-production models were anodized green; the official production ones were all ball-burnished.

photo4.jpg

(C) FC_Bryan / mtbr.com (who claims that he bought it from a former team rider)

Production numbers are unclear. Some claim that only 50 pieces were made. I think, at least 100 were made, maybe even 200. I have found the serial numbers 99, 150 and 190 (mine). All these frames were built in february 1998:

2109784-suaa6nnd92ux-img_8056-medium.jpg

When looking for Information of this model, some declare the XR-1000 as a 1999 model. I think, it is a 1998. The frames were built in february 1998, delivery started in summer 1998 (model year 1999 did not start until autumn), the decals are 1998-style ("arrows") and the 1999 catalogue, which was published in autum 1998 did not contain this model.

Ultimately, I think this is not only the lightest, but also best LTS GT every made! :)

Personally, I am really happy to have found this frame, not just because it is rare and GT my favorite brand, but because I was looking to build a bike with safer riding abilites (i.e. decent brakes and suspension) and I was always a fan of the features of the 97-99 Zaskar LEs with their CNC'ed headtube and integrated seatpost clamp:

2141623-avbq6u06xg29-img_0035-medium.jpg

2141624-pyapmbaf2urt-img_0037-medium.jpg

2141627-xb989htnu80s-img_0041-medium.jpg

2141625-rgwo2tx6kima-img_0039-medium.jpg

Also, I always had the dream to build a ball-burnished Zaskar with lots of red anodized parts. I started a project like this several years ago but had to stop it when I bought my first Klein.

large_Foto2.JPG

However, I kept the dream, so once I had bought the frame, I knew this was the perfect chance to fulfil it. Therefore I started collecting vast amount of red parts and I have come quite far already. Last weekend I did some builds to decide on the amount of red, the rim colour and wheter the grey XTR 950 fits:

2142422-7of24w32pjzr-img_0057-medium.jpg

Silver rims:
2142591-z6cqcz8xr7vw-img_0076-medium.jpg

dark rims:
2142587-djqu9adcdfhu-img_0072-medium.jpg

and even more red:
2142592-rmqx7givw9er-img_0086-medium.jpg

2142594-3enuz3sed6ug-img_0088-medium.jpg

2142593-wem6ywr3zlge-img_0087-medium.jpg

I am already very happy with the current status, but I think the crankset could use some red. :p

I was fortunate enough to find some black SIDs from 1998. However, the rubber in the top cap valve is broken; however, I managed to find spare parts from another broken set (still on the way to me).

Wheelset will also have to be made; I will take red GT Hadley rims and dark Matrix Mt. Titan. The wheelset shown is only borrowed and the rear Union Hügi hub is extremely (too) loud and ist red quite light.

Also, I will try out a silver handle bar.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Very nice! Absolute dream bike.
And good writing, too.

I totally agree with you about the straight seat tube. Those bent ones just don't look right with the seatpost pointing backwards in an dangerous looking fashion.

I have the early LTS 1 Thermoplast and I picked that for the straight seat tube, also.

I am currently trying to fit a 160mm fox air shock to rear. Quite some machining involved there...

(Why didn't you post that bike on classic ibc-forum? Too much BS? :D )
(Edit: just found your thread in the gt-section. Totally missed that.)

Re:

You are doing a awesome job on this mate, since I picked it up till now looks a lot nice with your parts on it.
No problem with the help was glad to help out.

Back