Is it worth the effort? To me of course it is!

Just starting the next phase now first time ever 'Stripping the frame of paint before respraying' using allenh's rattlecan respray thread as a guide. I expected to make a few blunders along the way so here are the first few.

Blunder 1) 27/03/2019 First blunder I put paint stripper into an old plastic ice-cream tub ......., result... tub melted with stripper dripping everywhere. Managed to catch most of it in an old Jam jar, I will use that in future. The first two applications only succeeded in removing the heavy coats of clear lacquer, oh well!.....result all the paint is still on the frame.

Blunder 2) 28/03/2019 Oh what a lovely bright sunny day it is today. :D Positioned frame in a sunny spot in the garden, It did say on the container to apply in a well ventilated area.....result..... stripper mostly vaporised. Quickly shaded frame with an umbrella and applied two more coats of stripper, left first coat 30mins then applied a second coat, left that another hour. My frame did not look anything like the one in allenh's photo, but at least I did manage to scrape a little paint off. Gave up today!...... going to try again tomorrow, you know the saying 'God loves a trier'.

In preparation for the third attempt tomorrow I have roughed up the remaining paint with a wire brush, maybe this will give the paint stripper something to soak into. I also intend to work in a more shaded area of the garden.

Below a few photos of my so far pathetic efforts.......no doubt more blunders in the thread to be continued. :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_3090.jpg
    IMG_3090.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 645
Welcome to the trial and error club, and blunders? No just learning steps on the road to shimmering glory, they're only blunders if you repeat them

Modern paint stripper is odd stuff because a lot of the chemicals used that actually work are harmful and so can't be used now but that's the stripper I've used. What I did find with paint it didn't seem to work on was that it needs to break the surface, as once it got underneath then the reaction sped up, still not great but once it started it finally got there on some so your roughing up with the wire brush might help. What you might find is that Nitromors which I couldn't get to work at all will work just fine on that paint, as I say trial and error.

You might find though that if you really can't shift the original paint then you need to wash the frame with some sugar soap to make sure you get all the stripper off and then look at the old paint as an undercoat, not ideal but if it's being re painted in the original colour then not the end of the world.

Keep at it, but one thing I will say is unless you're thinking of making or using a heated drying cabinet I don't think it's warm enough for applying anything other than primer for a month or more yet, I'm not expecting to be posting any pictures of frames with fresh paint on them until at least Easter at the very earliest and that's mostly because I'm taking some time off work to construct a better spraying area for myself with a heated drying cabinet then.

Thanks allenh for the good advice above.
I have plenty of time for this project. I will not start the respray until the days warm up,and at my present rate of progress it may take me that long to strip and rubdown the frame in preparation. I hope both your spray area and heated drying cabinet all go to plan. :D

29/03/2019
Frame coming along a bit now, easier after roughing the paintwork with a wire brush then leaving the first coat of stripper for 1 hour before applying a second, leaving that for another hour before rinsing, then using the scraper and fibre cloths. It still needs another days work with the stripper to remove the rest of the paint. Then I start with the Stanley knife on the nooks and crannies. No real blunders today, maybe I'm getting the hang of it now.
Still all worth the effort!

Attachments

• IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 606
lawn's looking good....

Once again my wife is not too happy, she is the gardener in the family, but hey ho! I think she is secretly glad I've now moved the frame out of the conservatory.

Day Three (Paint Stripping)
Repeated yesterdays action, and the frame is now stripped of its thick coating of black. I reckon it has been painted over its original coat as it was very thick, its also had a couple of coats of clear lacquer. Now just the nooks and crannies and some light steel wool work and a little rust treatment and then its ready for the primer. Waiting a couple of weeks to prime the frame as allenh's suggested, especially as next week the weather seems to be taking a bit of a turn for the worse. :roll:

Yeah, it's taken some effort but it is just getting to the good bit :)
Looking forward to seeing it come back.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back