International Shipping causes more problems....

utahdog2003":25n3tsoc said:
GoldenEraMTB":25n3tsoc said:
on a slightly different note...why is shipping large items to australia such a pain in the ass.

Uh...I'll take a stab at why.

Large items are usually, well...large. Australia is also far away. Really...look at a globe, it's true! :LOL:

gee...thanks :p :LOL: :oops:

but seriously, they seem to have stricted restrictions than other places that are also half-way around the globe.

utahdog2003":1pdfug0m said:
Australia is also far away. :LOL:

That depends in where you start from... :cool:

Yeah, Oz does seem to have strict size/weight limits.
A relatively light bike frame is still quite bulky, so they can get you on parcel dimensions, if not on actual weight. And some carriers can be really awkward about shipping some common items (snowboards etc.) if they're a fraction over their crappy size limits :roll:

Yup - our postal service 'Australia Post' - is a pain with size limits - seemingly inbound more so than outbound.

Frame only you may be OK, complete bike is a no-go. Courier is the only option and it gets very expensive very quickly.

I just bought a frame from Orange71, so it came from Derby in the UK to Canberra in Australia - used Parcel Monkey (DHL did the move) and it took a bit over a week if memory serves - I wasn't too worried as it had a long way to go. Cost the earth - I paid more for the shipping than I did the frame, then I was hit a week after it arrived with a customs bill for a random inspection (usually there is no customs charge if the value is under AU$1000). Nice frame and great seller - it'll be next year's project!

Most other international shipping I've recieved has been great - Cambriabike.com in the US was very fast using FedEx. It is frustrating though that so much nice stuff isn't open to international bidders on eBay, but I understand the difficulties of language/distance can increase the problems.

My worst eBay experiences have all been 'domestic': 'good condition' and 'my witnesses say the fork was working fine' when the elastomers in a Judy had in fact turned to dust and the fork only moved an inch by hand both ways accompanied by an evil squelching from the cartridge... :evil:

Moral: there are bad eggs in every basket, just pray you avoid them.

Best thing to do with international shipping is get a quote with someone like parcel2go and list that price for international shipping, it may be expensive but you get the guarantees and insurance and usually shipping time is less than a week. As long as the price for intenational buyers is listed clearly they will have no complaints.

Carl.

BG":2sm4d9z5 said:
Yup - our postal service 'Australia Post' - is a pain with size limits - seemingly inbound more so than outbound.

What I find a little odd is that they are quite happy to send something as large as the back seat of a P76 (large wedge shaped 70s sedan) domestically with no issues at all.

andrewl":v5k94wwy said:
BG":v5k94wwy said:

What I find a little odd is that they are quite happy to send something as large as the back seat of a P76 (large wedge shaped 70s sedan) domestically with no issues at all.

It's indeed life's little inconsistencies than constantly amaze me!

as your in Germany and recycling is all the rage, why don't you setup a Bike recycling facility, where people pay you to take there old bikes of there hands :)

zooma":16bf10zx said:
as your in Germany and recycling is all the rage, why don't you setup a Bike recycling facility, where people pay you to take there old bikes of there hands :)

:LOL: there's a couple regulars here on CL NYC that do that, and then they fight about who sells the better junk.

utahdog2003":1toagtby said:
Updated timeline...

11/17, auction closes
11/19, no word from buyer so I send the first invoice...no big deal. Buyer does not respond to my invoice.
11/23, buyer pays for item...again, no big deal, I'm not on fire to get a whopping 15 bucks. He paid within a week, OK I suppose, if not a wee slow. HOWEVER, November 23 was the wednesday before the US holiday weekend for Thanksgiving. No post on Thanksgiving.
11/28, Monday morning, I ship the item. It is the third weekday after the payment was made, and in spite of the holiday, within the three business days shipping window identified in the auction. I send buyer a note letting him know it shipped. And Thanks! Buyer does not respond to my note.
12/3, buyer sends me an inquiry about the item, concerned that he has not seen the package. It has only been 5 days! And oops...I am on holiday.
12/5, Buyer opens dispute with fleabay, complaining that he has no money, no part, and despite my contacting him with info about the transaction, twice to this point, he complains that I don't communicate. It has only been 7 calendar days since I told him it shipped. Someone, it seems, has an itchy trigger finger...
12/9, I get back from my weekend trip, see his premature concern, and again send him a note explaining that it is on the way, shipped on 11/28, and as its going from the states to Denmark, to give it some time. I also explain to him, through the ebay dispute console, all of the above listed items. Buyer does not respond to my direct note, OR to my response to the dispute.
12/11, Today, still no response from buyer to anything I've ever said regarding the status of the transaction. :shock: :cry: What gives?
12/17, Nothing from buyer...no return comments from my dispute response, so I sent him a direct question..."Did you get hub?"

And another week rolls on by...:roll:

I must admit it is sometimes sad that certain sellers (on the bay) will not ship international as availibility on french market is thinner than UK or States.
but its getting rarer now

I believe int shipping just increases the audience so it should increase the price !

Appreciate that the vast majority of retrobikers accept to ship to France ;)
when the item is of little value I always say Ill take the risk of non insurance.
I have bought quite a few things from international and has experienced a couple of mishaps only but seller was very nice and refunded.

Hate that german take only bank transfer as you can't do it by internet yet with french banks, and they charge you a fee

An anecdote : it took more than two month to get an item from New Zealand to France but I was cool as it was a retrobiker ;)
Well when it arrived, the parcel was showing a first shipment to Malaysia !!!!! (even with my clear french address on it - drunken postman maybe :LOL: )

so international shipping has its drawbacks
but it is a big plus overall - the world is much smaller now ;)

Back