Intense tracer 1999

ollie540

Devout Dirtbag
Long time lurker, occasional poster etc etc etc....
After selling my DH bike just before my second baby was due I've soon realised I need another bike in my life and that my road bike wasn't enough. A quick check through ebay of things a)cheap and b) local led me to this beauty. 45 mins in traffic later and she was better in the flesh than pics, the owner even had the canti mounts :D A quick scout through the spares boxes and a little bartering resulted in a random spec, but utterly budget build. As it stands its cost me a whopping £88.
Frame - 1999 (I think) Intense tracer, £72 off t'bay including seatpost and clamp. Bargain in anyones book. Pivots are fine, a little play in the shock bush but that was fixed by a spare that was lying in my toolbox (no idea where it came from though!)
Forks - 2001 X-Flys off the garage wall. Still super forks and nice and light after almost 12 years use!
Azonic bars / stem - Again out of the odds and sods box. Thought they were too flat on my DH bike and the stem was too long. Feel great on a more stretched out build.
FSA headset - Purchased from this site many moons ago and again stashed in a box. Nice and yellow!
Cranks - Truvativs again from the work bench. Down to 2 rings as I've lost the granny bolts :shock:
DX v's - Borrowed from my little brother, finish the colour scheme off a treat. Work as well as any cheap and nasty discs would.
Planet X saddle - Borrowed off the road bike :( even worse is its a white suede which will look minging in about 3 days time.
Wheels - Well the less said about the hoops the better. Deore rear hub on abused rigida rim. No name front hub, slightly rattley bearings. At least it goes round.
Tyres - Mountain kings from the wall of doom.
Front shifter - Upside down DX thumbie (old school!)
Rear shifter - LX 8 speed with the first "notch" snapped of. Only shifts 1 sprocket at a time, guess I'll have to plan my shifts in advance.

So far I've needed a new BB (£6 CRC as I destroyed an old square taper removing it from my trailstar) and I bit the bullet and paid a tenner for an old xt rear mech off ebay. The only one in the box was an alivio. And despite appearances I'm a snob.
I'm not quite sure this is the way intense imagined their frame ending up but hey, its being used and so far I haven't snapped the seat tower off.
As soon as I find time I'm cutting the post down as I'm not a giant but the dude before me obviously was.
Any feedback let me know... Yes the front mech is missing as I need to remove those damn little clamp on hydro guides. And yes it was taken in the office :D

Attachments

• tracer.jpg
    tracer.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 678
No need for profit, she's quickly turning into my go to bike. Having come from a world of 8" rear travel to have only 3-4" is like going from rugby boots to running spikes.
The things damn quick, and not half as heavy as I thought it would be.
Love her to bits already. I'll sort out new wheels and discs when time / funds / wife allow.

I had a Tracer new in 99, by far the biggest upgrade you could make would be a more modern shock. keep an eye on the main pivot bolt by the bottom bracket as they had a habit of snapping

Back