Inn-sewer-ants: to insure or not to insure?

Interesting thread. In a similar situation - the only places I leave bikes are

- Home: insurable
- Work car park (need an ID to get in, or better, the security guard needs to know your face and if someone is doing an inside job they're more likely to nick a car)
- Races: any ideas??

Personally, I'm most concerned about someone mugging me for a bike when cycling in London when stopped at traffic lights.

Second to that is somebody else walking off with my bike from transition at a race.

I don't see that either of these are insurable - anyone got any experience?

Another thing, anyone know of liability coverage when riding a bike? If I run over a pedestrian, am I / can I be covered?

I know 2 people who've had bikes nicked at knifepoint. 1 in manchester & 1 on the towpath, clifton gorge going into bristol. fluff had insurance & managed to claim. pretty certain mark didnt.

bikes get nicked from races all the time unfortunately. sh.t; bikes have been nicked from interbike before now!

Kestonian":233to89k said:
Personally, I'm most concerned about someone mugging me for a bike when cycling in London when stopped at traffic lights.

Second to that is somebody else walking off with my bike from transition at a race.

I don't see that either of these are insurable - anyone got any experience?

Another thing, anyone know of liability coverage when riding a bike? If I run over a pedestrian, am I / can I be covered?

Good points Kest. Bike insurance such as from British Cycling will cover your bike in a locked premises, when locked up outside with an approved lock during daylight (so not too specific then!) or if violence is used to obtain it, i.e. if some scally scum mugs you at a red light. That last point is the primary reason I insure my valuable/most used bikes.

You can also take out "Racing Cover" as part of this insurance which may well cover your bike during transition, though it would be worth checking first as I guess 'technically' your bike is unattended even if there are marshalls, etc.

Membership of an organisation such as British Cycling http://www.britishcycling.org.uk or the Cyclists Touring Club http://www.ctc.org.uk will give you Third Party Liability insurance which covers you if you run someone down or scrape up the side of some over-wide Beemer. IMHO I reckon EVERY cyclist should have Third Party or one day, should the unthinkable happen, you may find yourself with a large bill...

Anyway, none of this would help if my Ancient Anodised Antiqueâ„¢ got robbed...

Had my DynaTech Quantum mugged off me in Taunton. Bad shit, not an experience I would ever like to repeat!

Endsleigh house insurance paid out though, not sure how helpful this is as it was in 1995 :?

Looking at Lloyds bank cover on my house insurance, may be worth covering them separatley.

Good tips, jawl and others.

Really should join the BTA again for racing instead of day licences ...

jawj":t81rbkoo said:
..but it would kinda be like recieving compensation for a loved one lost - it just wouldn't take the pain away...

Only a biker can accept the parallel in that :LOL:

Back