INJURIES!

I hit the back of a parked BMW and broke my nose and jaw, cracked my cheek bones and one eye socket. The worst bit was that I had bitten through my tongue and had to have it stitched back together, I still wince at the pain now. My trusty Cindercone came through unscathed but my Marzocchi DH3's needed a new crown.

I've had a few,they include;

Broken & dislocated collarbone

3 1/2 inch boone-deep gash in shin through body armour!

Chunk out of skull hitting a dry-stone wall in the pyrenees - luckily I had gone through a thorn bush first!

Several broken/cracked fingers including two knuckles on trees

Two broken toes

Cut a hole through my calf with a broken chainstay as I accelerated to overtake a car

4 inch long hole in right calf from a chainring

2 inch scar on elbow after brake-lever puncture and tear.

cracked ribs

Chipped teeth

Miscellaneous tendon/muscle damage

Countless other scars from trees/thorns/rocks/ground/pedals/bike on legs, arms & body.

**Edit** I've scared myself a bit with this list :shock:

Puncture rib that did not split until I rolled over in bed that night. YIKES!

broke and crushed collar bone, leaving nice lump.

folded and split scapula into the shoulder socket. Left shoulder sits lower than right.

This is just wrong.....everyone is trying to kill themselves!

My collar bone job is small-fry compared to most :shock:

Mine was probably in a downhill race at York (Western Australia - not UK) about 12 years ago.

After the race, gave my knee guards and body armour to my folks who headed into town for a bit whilst I mucked around on the course for a bit more. Took a 2 foot drop at the bottom of the course a bit fast and landed square on a log, stopping me in my tracks and kneeing the cable guides at the top of the frame.

Crawled myself and bike off the track and laid in the grass. Looking down, I could see a 4 inch gouge around my knee, white flesh and I think a bit of bone. After a few secs the blood started pouring out.

Folks freaked when they came back to the course to collect me and saw me in the back of the ambulance being attended to.

Can't remember how many stitches but I've got a big purple scar to this day.

Back