Info on "Rare" 80's Cannondale SM1000/Campy MTB

Re: Mine are good too

kemo_sabe":3ax1f4rp said:
I agree with "oldslalomskier" about the brakes & shifters. Actually the brakes are the best part; very sturdy and strong braking power. I think they look kinda cool too. THe shifters on the other hand, while not made of plastic, are not really up to par in detente shifting. They function but I only put up with them because they are Campy and are OEM.

Like most index shifting system, lube on the chain is important. In the case of my Campy stuff it seems to have to be dripping with oil to work decently. When it is clean and oily it shifts pretty well. No SRAM, but decent.

oldslalomskier":3hc3of7y said:
24pouces":3hc3of7y said:
The difference is on the brakeset and shifters. Olympus is ugly and plastic ;)

Well then soneone's got soma 'splainin' to do - the "Olympus" parts that my 1MB supposedly was equipped with are NOT plastic. Shifters and brakes are black metal. Real solid. Hugely overengineered/overbuilt.

What I wrote was the difference between the 2 groupo.
Your brakes levers are not olympus, they are Centaur or Euclid.
I know these 2 groupos, because I've got 2 bikes built with them and they are aluminum made (and work fine)

But Olympus was really ugly and… plastic
:LOL:

oldslalomskier":aa9qysz4 said:
OOps! My bad. Helps to remove stuff to check - turns out there IS a serial number. Bike was built Sept 1990

Hi OSS,

I have one of these Cannon/Campy "1MB" bikes........where did you find the frame # ? I've looked all over the place and can't find it. :oops:

According to my October 1990 sales receipt My ser # is 5-18-0990-4500 and according to Vintage Cannondale site it was made in Nov. 1990, but I bought the bike in October 1990, so something is amiss.

I'd really like to find the serial # on the frame.

Thanks,

Mike Cecchini
Bethesda, Maryland

i have euclid brake/shifters on my "clunker"
damm its quirky ugly stuff

I'm certainly not in the same league as you mate.......but I enjoy my 1MB everytime I ride it.

Then again......it's my only bike, so what do I know... ;)

mikee":sgbn0nb3 said:

There seems to be lots of confusion as to what exactly is on the 1MB. Mine are metal are really moto - style: bomb proof. And once I added a Force 40 carrier to the front brake they stop as well as any modern bike. But with way more panache. The shifters are metal as well and do OK for early indexing.

Re: Serial # Loc

oldslalomskier":41ptkc68 said:
The serial number on mine is on the left chainsty (upper) The stay that goes from teh axle up to the seat.

Ok.......THERE it is.... :oops:

Dunno why it is......but it seems I need to have 5 posts before I can send you guys a link to my 1MB Cannondale/Campy.

This should be #2.......so I'll do 3 more to appease the posting gods...... :roll:

oldslalomskier":3me3tzfb said:
mikee":3me3tzfb said:

There seems to be lots of confusion as to what exactly is on the 1MB. Mine are metal are really moto - style: bomb proof. And once I added a Force 40 carrier to the front brake they stop as well as any modern bike. But with way more panache. The shifters are metal as well and do OK for early indexing.

Metal shifters ? Don't think so.......unless they ran out of parts at the factory. They are suppose to be rubber covered levers.

I've got some pics coming up as soon as I get to the 5 post min. What's that all about ? :roll:

Back