Wolber AT18 silver MTB rims – 32 spoke
Ritchey Megabite 2.1x26 tires
Euclid MTB gruppo
Ritchey Logic HS
Ritchey seatpost
Cannondale saddle
Euclid triple crankset : 26-38-48
Rear Campy OR cassette: 12-25
Easton Taperlite (Cannondale) E9 bars on Tech stem (Currently fitted with Frankenstem and Scott AT2 bars)

Due to the stem change, I am running a Suntour Power Roller cam for the front brake.

That bike is a 1991 model called '1MB'. It is included in the '91 European catalog.
You can find it from this: http://66.147.244.179/~vintagm8/year/1991/1991fr.pdf (page 13 in the lower right corner)

A LBS where I worked BITD had one and I remember it being really nice & special, although not as sweet as M2000. I wish I could track where it is now so that I could buy it right away.

Archangel":1v4q9eo5 said:
That bike is a 1991 model called '1MB'. It is included in the '91 European catalog.
You can find it from this: http://66.147.244.179/~vintagm8/year/1991/1991fr.pdf (page 13 in the lower right corner)

A LBS where I worked BITD had one and I remember it being really nice & special, although not as sweet as M2000. I wish I could track where it is now so that I could buy it right away.

AWESOME! Thanks for the info and the link. I knew there had to be someone who has seen this thing. I vaguely recall the designation 1MB now that I think about it... Thanks!!

1990 Cannondale w/ Campy components

I also bought one of these rare Cannondale/Campy M1000's. Got mine at the US PX in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the Fall of 1990 when my daughter worked as a civilian for the US Forces. I've put many miles on it since then and it is still my only mountain bike. Had a suspension fork for a few years but went back to the Pepperoni fork. Only wimps need suspension :)

The components are clunky and heavy but work ok. The brakes are very strong. Shifters are like old-fashion down tube friction shifters, all it takes is a little "feel" to make them work right. I've replaced the bottom bracket (EDCO many years ago) and stem but other than that it's still original.

Surprised to hear it may be worth $2000 - 2500. About double what I paid for it new.

It's not an SM 1000.
You could see in the European 1991 catalog the “1MB", it was a limited built, with the 3.0 cannondale frame, pepperoni fork and Campy groupo.

But, I don't understand why C'dale built his bike with Olympus parts… It was far from the quality of the Euclid/centaur groupos.

1MB Catalogue

Thanks for the link. That's the bike. Come to think of it, I've replaced the seat post with a Campy model, changed to a Bontrager saddle, changed the chainrings to Campy 26/36/46 (still have the originals), replaced the stem with a Control Tech and added bar ends, replaced the tires numerous times (I like the Smoke rear with the Smoke directional front).

I trashed the rear derailleur last summer and spent 6 months finding an exact NOS replacement for more than a 1/3 of the bike's new price.

24pouces":2q52eq9h said:
It's not an SM 1000.

But, I don't understand why C'dale built his bike with Olympus parts… It was far from the quality of the Euclid/centaur groupos.

I dunno - I have some Euclid hubs and there is not THAT much difference IMHO

The difference is on the brakeset and shifters. Olympus is ugly and plastic ;)

24pouces":1uqxpz55 said:
The difference is on the brakeset and shifters. Olympus is ugly and plastic ;)

Well then soneone's got soma 'splainin' to do - the "Olympus" parts that my 1MB supposedly was equipped with are NOT plastic. Shifters and brakes are black metal. Real solid. Hugely overengineered/overbuilt.

Mine are good too

I agree with "oldslalomskier" about the brakes & shifters. Actually the brakes are the best part; very sturdy and strong braking power. I think they look kinda cool too. THe shifters on the other hand, while not made of plastic, are not really up to par in detente shifting. They function but I only put up with them because they are Campy and are OEM.

Back