Im a novice but i intend to rebuild, modernize this bike.

I saw another one identical to this, in a driveway a rode by the other day. If u wanna sell the wheels let me no coz iv got some weird projects on the go!!! :LOL:

Hmmm, I kind of like it in strange kind of way... :oops:

If the bike has a degree of sentimental value I'd be tempted to put some different mech's and chainset/bottom bracket on it, even if it's only something like Exage 500 or so, just to get the hang of working on your bike and to experience for yourself the difference you can make for not too much outlay...

...once you start building projects you'll soon be raiding the kids' piggy banks like a 10 Cent crack whore just to satisfy your addiction! :shock:

Splashed out on a new headset and seat post for my RSP last night; add to that the cost of the seat I just had to have last week and and there's not much change out of £60!! :roll:

One of the best ways to start a sensible project is find a near as possible original late '80's early 90's bike you like the look of and just clean it up and add new cables, chain and brake pads if required; then go out and ride the damn thing instead of sitting around admiring your handiwork! :oops:

wheels are screw on freewheel btw.

Sunrace do a 9spd screw-on for £24.99 from SJS - just bear in mind 8spd screw-ons have been known to wear quickly and can break the rear axle

Agree with We-are_stevo...

For a beginner i would do nothing more than change the rear mech, perhaps front mech, and cranks. Keep it all 7 speed for now. Some nice early 90's dx/xt would transform the look of that bike. the main thing being getting ride of the plastic covered cranks. Had them on a trek i once owned. good honest kit but ugly as sin.

Its scary how quickly the cost builds up. when you start targeting a full rebuild.

Latest posts

Back