Identify my (1950s?) Claud Butler track frame!

Re:

After a little cleaning, it looks like…

IMAG1766-1_zps6vwrilgw.jpg

IMAG1767-1_zpsqakw1o1w.jpg

IMAG1769-1_zpsip5u4tem.jpg

Pretty chuffed all told! :cool: Now, what to do with it?

Re: Identify my (1950s?) Claude Butler track frame!

well that is a tough decision having to make your mind up what to do with such a classical frame from a great maker , oh i would give you £50 all day long

You got a good bike there.
Treasure it, & enjoy riding it.
I would; )

Stick some kit on it and go for a ride :)

Stuff from the 50's can be hard to come by but anything 70's or before would do fine ......

Shaun

Re:

Thanks guys! Great to have such positive feedback! :cool:

I'll be hanging on to this one, I think, and taking my time to build it up nicely… whether as a period track bike (been told parts are rare/expensive) or as a modern fixie ride for laughs and good times.

First job, service the sticky headset!

Cheers all, Don.

The easy way to assemble the headset is upside down. 5/32 balls probably 22 in each, place the balls in the top screwed race with a little grease, then in the lower race, drop the forks in with one hand and screw on the top race with the other, much preferred to cages.

Keith.

Yes, early track parts will be expensive - particularly the bars and stem! If you were to use something like an Andele chainset with 110mm square taper bottom bracket, a plain pair of new track wheels from Singlespeedcomponents and just a simple SR or GB alloy quill stem with alloy bars with a slight curve across the top (e.g. mid 70's Dawes ones) then you'll get 85% of the look but at a fraction of the cost and it'll be 100% useable.

Re:

Thanks fellas! Never fixed a headset with loose bearings before, so this is going to be interesting!

Thanks also for advice about the build. I don't think I'm going to source original 50s components (the budget isn't there for that kind of extravagance), but some nice 70s gear would be nice!

* Goes off to look for 70s Dawes kit *

Back