i testicoli del cane

pwebb

Old School Hero
since it's Giro month, an Italian flavoured build thread...
... a long time ago I worked in Verona and the lady who's apartment I rented was related to the people that ran the Chesini shop - this was my first introduction to Italian steel frames and pantographed lugwork. I never had the cash to invest sadly.
Fast forward a few decades and this arrived in the post

wrapped frame.jpg

4ksize00003.jpg

mint NOS TIG welded MTB frame from circa 1997 ( judging by 1" headset and yet no canti bridge, braze ons are v brake specific )
ITA threaded BB and 1" headset fitted so far

weekend spent cleaning - few decades of gronk removed from the group set - ready to fit

00022_4Ksize.jpg

because this frame has no canti bridge, I am using the V brakes from another bike that has M737 groupset and does have the canti bridge ( Orange P7) - so the P7 will receive the cantis above - should be straight swap.

Some notes from the build up on Sunday ( it was raining so no chance to do a test run) - The ITA bottom bracket required a BB with 68.0 mm shell and the threads were italian style - i.e. no reverse thread on LHS ( like british ones do) - apparently these can undo themselves :) The seat tube is a slender 31.8 mm where the front mech above is a 34.9 diameter fitting - requiring a shim to make it fit snugly.
Conversely the shift/brake units have a small diameter clasp fitting - so old school narrow handlebar needed for these. The V-brakes fitted first time ( phew) and the P7 donor swapped out to M737 cantis no problems at all - I didnt even need to cut the cable outers - that was a relief.

The clearance for 2.1 " rear tyres is very marginal - the chainstays are quite narrow near the BB /chainset.
I did want to fit a more modern ahead set in white ( with step up quill stem from 1" to 1 1/8" - but due to the need to accommodate the narrow shifter clamps I have reverted to an old quill stem that fits the 1" steerer and suits a narrower handlebar.

Overall I am reasonably happy with how it has turned out , but I do have some upgrades planned nonetheless.

Last edited:
Back