I gotta Idea...Retrocon?

Re:

What about staying around Warwickshire, where IconoClassic was?

You could speak to Kenilworth Castle or Warwick Castle and see what they'd offer

They hold events there already, they have the grounds and the space for it, and I assume there's good riding areas around there too

Also, we'd be a captive crowd, so they could make some money by selling us burgers, chips, and drinks

Might be daft, but it was just a thought

Re:

It all sounds good count me in
Do it at Mountin Mayhem perhaps then you have a captive audience of bike lovers as well as the fifty or so retrobikers you can guarantee

Re:

My gut feel is that it will need to generate some profit to make it worthwhile for various associated partners/sponsors. I have no issue with that personally within reason but know that's a whole can of worms on its own. Hadleigh has the track and facilities. I think more day trippers will make it a bigger event rather than focusing too much on offering camping facilities, unless it combines music and a festival vibe. I'm thinking it could be a great opportunity to kick start the retro vibe and make it trendy and more mainstream.

Re:

York is a reasonable size meet and they are looking to broaden the horizon past the old CTC roadie image it had in the past. good thing about York is..... its already all organized for you .

If more onsite nightlife is required another thought is the VW meet at harewood house in august, they have live entertainment on a night IIRC and loads of food stalls......... plus retro VW's

RBG

Re:

Good idea, i like the whole 'grasp the moment' thing about it.

And, maybe the meet could tour by way of different location each time, this would draw out more variety of bikes/people and regional flavours. By that i mean..nottingham(area) for raleigh to headline...yorkshire(area) for orange to headline....you get the picture.

And, a good opportunity to ride the local trails maybe. icon meets may be ideal for ornamental stuff and entertainment/collectables but bikes need to be rode on and a few grubby ones would be nice to see, that's what they were designed for. Ask Tom, Gary, keith etc...

But, yeah, i'm all for this thing, whatever it turns out to be. We need more events like this full stop. jumbles, rides, meets n ting seem to take forever to come round.
It doesn't have to be big straight off, does it. as long as it pays for itself initially. so, church halls, sports centres, pub car parks can venue initially so don't be put off by the whole commercial ins and outs for the first meet or two. RBG may have a point where the event/section may piggy-back or co-organise something else relevant.

Re:

A ride-out would be good.....they do that on some of the classic car rallies, and some of the residents come out of their houses to watch and wave.

Not sure we'd get the same kind of reception, certainly not to start with, but we should consider all options and opinions

Re:

Your problem will be getting enough people to turn up that's why tagging it onto another even would get it started.
Tom was running his event for the second year and despite all the advertising it was the usual bunch of around thirty guys and a pre event ride that amounted to four of us !

Re:

If there's a show section please don't just focus on pretty bikes, I've been to far too many car shows where you see looks of pretty cars in the show & shine that pretty much have the same bolt on chrome parts, and the really interesting stuff is in the car park because it's a work in progress or the paints scuffed, or dare I say it it's actually used.

hey folks: thanks so much for the input. :)
I will over the next few days make up a couple of sample agendas and post them here, taking into account as much of all of this I can. ( and Rob - the idea won't be to focus on concourse stuff: it'll be to celebrate all of MTB history and for people to really be able to be involved and have things to do )

I would appreciate ALL input still :) let me know what you want or thing would be good and I'll do my best to incorporate it.

Back