I’ve given a home to a knackered old Dog on its last legs-

Re: trek 8900 Carbon 8500 Flouro paint

Slow progress but its now starting to look Yellow again, and here it is looking more like a Citrus fade Clockwork Orange from the late 80’s

just need to clean the last little bits of masking tape glue off the carbon fibre before I get out the 2k lacquer and inject some life into the otherwise very flat colours and make that neon and carbon propper zingy

I seriously toyed with proper Neon Yellow - the stuff that actually glows once charged with UV light

Attachments

• IMG_2223.JPG
    IMG_2223.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,133
  • IMG_2218.JPG
    IMG_2218.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,133
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,134
Tidy work.... looking forward to that lacquered finish!

:shock: just talking about loosing fingers the other week, i was moaning that i couldnt play guitar as i mashed my left hand up in a bike accident(did loose a couple of front teeth too though, but not quite as bad as digits) i lost a knuckle so cant bend my fingers. A friend kindly pointed out Django Reinhardt played guitar with just 2 fingers, so dont give up on piano just yet :D

Anyway, this is coming on really nice, getting a bit good at Magura referb now too! dont think the glow in the dark paint would have looked great though, reminds me of Triggers paint Del-boy painted the flat in :LOL:

Mark

mkone":3osw7nrg said:
:shock: just talking about loosing fingers the other week, i was moaning that i couldnt play guitar as i mashed my left hand up in a bike accident(did loose a couple of front teeth too though, but not quite as bad as digits) i lost a knuckle so cant bend my fingers. A friend kindly pointed out Django Reinhardt played guitar with just 2 fingers, so dont give up on piano just yet :D

Anyway, this is coming on really nice, getting a bit good at Magura referb now too! dont think the glow in the dark paint would have looked great though, reminds me of Triggers paint Del-boy painted the flat in :LOL:

Mark

Without or without the full compliment of 10 I never was going to be musical - and The Only Fools and reference made me smile, proper blast from the past :LOL:

Anyway back to the real world and the here and now !

Before I go mad with the cyanide based 2K clear coat and kill myself I thought I’d apply a light base coat and adhere the waterslide decals, Here’s the starting position and my selection of surprisingly “off the peg” decals from Velocals which I found by accident whilst looking for the TREK specific chain stay protector

Never used waterslides on a frame before, mind you I’ve never painted a frame before either - as all the others have gone off to Argos in Bristol and come back all shinny and new looking – anyone who tells you patina is cool is wrong (unless of course the scratches and dents were made by Tomac etc)

As I didn’t have big enough Kahooners to jump straight in I thought I’d start off with something small and settled upon the USA decal, being water slides they are far more forgiving than self adhesive decals and you can to an extent move them around.

Progress was slow but thanks to some careful measurements before removing the old decals I knew exactly where they were applied in the factory

And here’s where I pretty much ended up, the tiny decal on the drive side top tube below the Composite logo has slipped but thankfully spotted when looking at the pics and being the last one to be applied I was able to square it up….
I don’t know what I was thinking but I got sooo carried away I fitted the chainstay protector which I had only gotten out to take a pic of it along with the decals before starting work – needless to say its sooo darn sticky there was no way it was coming off and I’ve not finished the clear coat process yet !

and with my matching Magura's :cool:

At Least I’ve not attached the NOS headtube tin badge

looking forward to the weekend now and warm weather along with plenty of ventilation, and get some real shine into those tubes. Still not sure what to do with the chainstay, might have a go at masking it up :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_2231.JPG
    IMG_2231.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 950
  • first one on.JPG
    first one on.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 951
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 951
  • IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 950
My_Teenage_Self":223xcvlv said:
Patina is Cool.

You're wrong.

Whoorrr Fighting talk.....

Most patina is nothing more than careless storage scratches or someone’s clumsy ownership - and on cheaper bikes from being locked up outside the local Chip shop or PoundStretcher.

Each to their own I guess, same as blackwalls V’s Amber walls and also anyone who buys and fits a brown saddle,

I guess it would be a well boring world if we all followed the same path and coveted the same things in life

Re:

Top work retro spud that looks awesome. Don’t suppose you fancy doing a giant cfm after do you? :) very similar to your trek.

Re:

Those decals really make it..looking great. Don't you think the Flouro Magura's will look a bit lost next to the Flouro stays?

Re: Re:

Timoth27":rt3w2zqn said:
Top work retro spud that looks awesome. Don’t suppose you fancy doing a giant cfm after do you? :) very similar to your trek.

easy Tiger I'm still fighting with this one, and finding my feet, its nice to do something different for a change

Latest posts

Back